mondeo ticking noise

Had my cam belt changed on friday but this morning i've noticed a loud ticking noise from the cam belt end of the engine. At first i thought oh tappets, but i removed the top cam belt cover and it seemed louder. could a tensioner be my problem?

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

by the way the cars a 1997 mondeo 1.8 mk2 done 75k miles

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

Did you get the pulley kit fitted at the same time AS YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO? Or did you take the cheap option?

Reply to
Conor

went to garage asked for timing belt ro be changed (never mentioned a kit) is this the problem then?? would have gone for the full monty if i was offered it already replaced clutch and had it serviced dont really skimp on my cars not worth it!!

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

Oh dear. Sounds like it's not that good a garage. A pulley kit should always be fitted with a cambelt on the Zetec engine. The place my missus took hers won't do them without also doing the pulley kit.

Usually the reason a replacement cambelt fails prematurely is because the tensioner etc that should have been replaced, hasn't been.

If you're paying less than £150 for a garage to do a cambelt on a Mondeo, ask if they're also doing the pulley kit as well.

Reply to
Conor

thanks for your reply. so am i right in saying that a bollocksed tensioner is the culprit? I mean if so then it will be changed.

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

as Connor says all tensioners & idler pulleys should have been replaced, might cost a little extra but hell of a lot cheaper in the long run. We fit Gates belts which come as a complete kit, belt, tensioners ect.

Reg.

Reply to
kronenburgh

thanks for all your help guys!! now sorted tensioner was fcked

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

Glad you found it before it went.

Reply to