MOTs "without trying"

Mine was in again today for its MOT - passed without any issues.

I'm not a mechanic, never tinker with the thing* and its only had basic servicing since the warranty ran out (although I did get the cambelt done at 40k as a dealer came back with a stupidly low price to do it at the same time as a service).

  • I did have to swap to the spare tyre once IIRC, but that's the only time i've ever had to wave anything remotely spanner shaped at it !

Considering i've had it from new in 1998, and i've only ever once had to get something done (one replacement tyre a couple of years ago), it set me wondering if anyone has a personal best for getting the same old jalopy through, year after year, without actually having to *do* anything to it either before the test or to get it through :-}

Reply to
Colin Wilson

And what is it?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Colin Wilson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net:

I had a C reg Volvo 740 that passed every MOT with nothing needing done until 2 years ago, when it needed a bit of welding after I ran over an H beam someone left on the motorway.

Reply to
Tunku

Hyundai Accent 1.3i with possibly the most destroyed interior you've ever seen :-p

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I had a manky old B-reg Volvo 360 that I used as a skip. I bought it with

190k on it and it went through 4 MOTs and needed nothing doing to it at all. It got nothing apart from the occasional oil top up and brake pad and light bulbs. We absolutely caned it everywhere too. Finally died when the diff gave up after one too many lairy RWD moments :-)

MIke P

Reply to
Mike P

i had one in today, complete shed, but flew through the test, but at the other end of the scale, i had a three year old micra in that failed on brakes, so you can never tell.

Reply to
reg

Do you folkies have the MOT, get told it's a fail officially, then get another MOT done, be it a free re-test or not?

My local garages seem to just inspect it, tell you the damage, and voila, MOT done after.

Reply to
David R

Friends of my parents used to rescue mistreated Afghan hounds.I can safely say that the inside of their car (Escort?) was the most destroyed I've ever seen. The upholstery looked like fire damage.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Mine's comparable, I can almost guarantee it !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Cavalier M reg - ok till brake pipes last year. Oh, and I am a 'tinkerer'

Reply to
IanDTurner

I take that, and I raise you my old TD Carlton Estate that had been used to tow a burger van, with a generator sitting in the boot running. Interior was absolutely caked with grease, presumably as a result of an extractor pointing in its general direction.

Paging JB, he was witness to it......

Reply to
AstraVanMan

We used to live in t'hole in t'road, work 22 hour days down t'Mill and pay t'Mill owner for t'privilege... :-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Sadly, mine has needed extensive welding on door sills on both sides.

But what's really going to kill it is next February's extension of the congestion charge zone in central London.

Reply to
Art

Reply to
Colin Wilson

A mate who trades in trade-ins (IYSWIM) had a van that was that bad once.

He ended up steam cleaning the whole thing (with his engine bay steamer...) then leaving it for a couple of weeks in the hot summer with the windows open to dry out...

Reply to
PC Paul

My first Trannie (I broke it for parts) had the typical "builders' floor" in it - a layer of semi-deliberate concrete to fill the rust holes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley