Cheaper MOT

From 7th November, MOT for a car costs a maximum of £50.35. For some time, Kwik-Fit has been charging £39.95. Now, National Tyres has joined the fray, asking for £30 only.

'm not too clear what the exact fee is; presumably, it's £35 - 10%discount when booking is done on-line.

Reply to
Lin Chung

Bit of a bumer its going up in price. But hey ho seems like somethings always rising in the world of motoring.

Will check out that national tyre offer. My MOT is due in January though. Fingers crossed it will still be about as well I feel an expensive christmas coming on and new year.

Hmmm ... how much in advance can you have an MOT done. :)

Reply to
johnbond

1-month in the uk. :)
Reply to
bongo

You can have an MOT done whenever you want. Every day if you feel like it.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

One suspects they'll recoup the discount by failing the vehicle and doing the work?

Jeremy Goff

They rely on the above, as you say Jeremy Iams. However, I like how they show you their diagnosis at National, which I think is a genuine friendly way of proving they're being honest, unlike Kwik-Shite.

Brake pads are a good one, drive in, get a check, let them show you. Then you can go buy elsewhere for cheaper and DIY or give to a local garage.

I prefer paying a local garage, even if a fiver or a tenner more. Too many big national chains are getting too...big!

Reply to
David R

you are right, i did`not read it that way, i thought he ment before the old mot runs out so you do not loose the rest of the time left on the old Mot.

Reply to
bongo

Don't talk to me about free brake checks! One of those ended up with me getting a £460 bill and the car being 'unsafe' to drive, and 'impossible' to put back together without doing the repair. The bill from the main dealer for the same work would have been £400!

David Hearn

Use a local garage- trust them much more - just need to find a good one!

Reply to
mo

The message from David Hearn contains these words:

And that assumes it was even necessary in the first place.

Reply to
Guy King

Ah, the old 'we broke quite a few things by using brute force to remove the old ones' line.

Reply to
Alan

Thus spaketh Lin Chung:

Always take your vehicle to a local Council/Government MOT test centre. Many local councils have their own MOT testing stations for council vehicles (i.e. buses and ambulances). Yet by law these test centres must be open to the general public. As they only carry out tests, and not repairs, there's no incentive for mechanics to find faults that don't exist..

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

I always go to a place which gives a free re-test. Again no incentive to fail for the work. Been caught out on that one before. Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Thus spaketh Brian:

The Birmingham City council run one here, gives a free re-test if it fails, if it does fail, you can then get the work done yourself either from a garage, or indeed yourself and then take it back.

Reply to
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Oh dear - come back when you catch up to the rest of the group.

Reply to
djc

Ah yes, that old technique. There's a name for it in the trade.

Blackmail.

Reply to
PC Paul

Take it to a main dealer and it will cost far less. Some garages will try and rip you off because of the way they work. Managers force sales staff dressed as mechanics in fast fitting type garages to lie to people. Each car driver is screwed for as much money as possible and offered credit if they say they can't afford it. credit at up to 30% APR. The number of times I used to see people being ripped off after being lied to about needing shock absorbers, brakes etc. Then one part would suddenly lead to another. Another one is balancing and also tracking. It was mainly women that were the victims, but older men were often conned. Younger men were left alone if they knew about cars. Compare £50 for a proper MOT and list of things that might need doing within the next 12months to - £35 MOT + £20 for tracking, £16 for balancing wheels, £100 for shock absorbers, £60 for brakes which also need new fluid, new back box £30. The list can go on. Don't take a car to a garage run by sales people pressurised by managers to rip people off in order to reach a target. Take it to a local friendly garage or main dealer.

Reply to
djc

Why a free retest then? That is so you feel better when they find things to charge you for. Look at how they work, you are a victim!

Reply to
djc

I meant get them checked at national, as a local garage will usually insist that you ditch the car there for a day or 2, or at least a few hours.

National do it straight away in most instances.

I never advised acutally paying their silly prices!!!!

Reply to
David R

I think it was meant that use a council/local government garage that also offers a free retest if a vehicle fails. Then you can go get the work done at another garage; safe in the mind that they wont be trying to con you most likely, as they don't do the actual work on the car themselves.

Mr.silly-billy!

Reply to
David R