My driver's side door hates me...

Hmm.

Mazda 323F, 1992.

The electric window has always (while I've had it) sometimes made loud 'clack' noises on the way down - sounds like a gear slipping a tooth against a rack. It also fails to stop once it is fully wound up, and sits there clacking away if you don't stop it.

I lived with it for a while, since you can control it fairly well, and if you don't let it go too far on the way up it goes down smoothly.

But then the central locking went kaput, the locking knob feels disconnected and has no effect, and opening the door with the key only affects that door, no others.

So I now have the door panel off. Lock problem first - it looks as though a bit of brass has snapped off causing the lever that trips the microswitch to be floating in space on the end of it's rod. I guess that has to be a replacement locking mechanism :-(

The window is more odd. Nothing looks obviously wrong. Only two wires to the motor, it winds up and down OK, rail is mounted solidly etc.

No sign of any limit switches. There is a strange U shaped bit of rubber pipe from the top of the window motor with one end free to the air. No idea what that is.

Any ideas? What should be stopping the motor when it gets to the top? Is it supposed to jam the motor and the stall current trips it, but the rack is too worn so it slips instead?

Looks like most of the door interior needs sorting one way or another.. maybe a whole new scrappy door is easiest!

Reply to
PC Paul

Jam it in the vise boy.

Reply to