New Honda Civic

Today, I've just been to see and road test the new Honda Civic. We also got to try some of the competition too - Golf, BMW 1 series, A3 and Focus.

I am stunned, the Civic is an amazing car, the looks have to be seen to be believed, and the technology is just mind blowing. One model has a full size glass roof that is stronger than the steel roof. There is also auto headlights and wipers, voice activated controls for climate, audio and cruise.

The worst of the bunch was the BMW, it had a terrible ride, and was so cramped inside. The Focus (I hate to say it) was actually the nearest rival really, in terms of comfort and ride quality.

Of the lot the Civic ES was the quietest and smoothest ride.

Watch out for this one, it's going to shake up this range of the market.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Is the gear stick still in an odd looking place? The newest car to the market will always cause the most recent stir, earlier in the year I was fortunate enough to be in the market for a new vehicle, Like you Ihad the choice of several and after careful consideration of various factors , opted for the Golf, still no regrets......

Reply to
Avanti

Yes, The new Civic here in the states is also a great improvement. Still waiting to see the new Civic Si though.. Scott

Reply to
zonie

Andy Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Bloody spammers.

Reply to
Adrian

You know the new Astra isn't all that bad, either, amazingly. If you like toys and park on street, the electrically folding mirrors are great. If you really like toys, there's even the option of active suspension of sorts and the 150 bhp 1.9TD is a good engine.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

^^^^

Fiat, ITYM.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Fiat and Ford made a formal announcement yesterday that the next Cinque and Ka will be developed by Fiat "with Ford help" from the current Panda. Due

2007.
Reply to
Adrian

Old news. I first mentioned that somewhere on Usenet a good few months ago.

The only thing of worth I can see Ford bringing to the party is money.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, indeed. But the formal press release was yesterday.

D'you think it might interfere with the Fiat-GM diseasel deal? Or the PSA-Ford diseasel JV? Or the Fiat-PSA van JV? Or the Renault/Nissan/GM van deal?

Complicated industry, isn't it?

Reply to
Adrian

I think GM will be looking for a new diesel engine and Fiat /Alfa will be looking for a new supplier for 4 and 6 pot petrol lumps.

Can't see any other way out, as I can't see GM being to happy with the JTD ending up in a Ford, meaning the deal will have to end.

Reply to
SteveH

No, it's more normal now.

Erm, I'm not choosing the Civic, I work for Honda, and was simply offering a little insight to this newsgroup (seeing as I've contributed for a number of years).

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

We're not slated to see a 3 door Civic for another 2 years.

Damned excellent engineering quality though.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

That and the best chassis guru in the business - Richard Parry-Jones.

Ka - better handling than any small Fiat Fiesta - better handling than any small Fiat Focus - better ride / handling than anything else in its group Mondeo - better ride / handling than anything else in its group

Yup, I'm sure they just wanted the money. Like f*ck.

Reply to
Pete M
[Snipped Text]

Crap. The Fiats are easily a match for Fords.

Not any more mate. The new Civic will piss on anything out there now.

LOL.

Ford don't, but Fiat are desperate.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Marea HLX, Bravo HGT, new Panda, MkI Punto (which blew everything else in it's class away for many years), Stilo Abarth is a cracker.

OK, so, generally, the best Fiats have been the performance models in the range.....

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

If you'd said that in the 70s I'd have pissed myself laughing.

Reply to
Guy King

See, now, if I'm going to compromise on driving experience by not having something quick and Italian, those damped grab handles / ash tray lid, blue dials and nice fabrics / soft touch plastics make all the difference.

Reply to
SteveH

Um, the 155 has a damped ashtray....

-- Pete M

Alfa 155 Ford Capri (still broked) Porsche 911 3.2 (For Sale - ebay soon) COSOC #5 Scouse Git extraordinaire. Liverpool, Great Britain

Reply to
Pete M

Does it work properly, though? - I had to attach little pieces of velcro to mine to stop it dropping down every time I hit a bump in the road.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, even the light works. Then again, everything works on my 155 excluding the remote locking, and there's no way I'm paying Alfa £800 to fix that.

Reply to
Pete M