Omega 2.5TD problems

Vauxhall Omega, 2.5TD, auto, M reg

The car seemed a bit reluctant to start on sunday. It had been doing lots of short journeys so I took it for a bit of a thrash to see if it would improve things. By the time I got back, the car was very sluggish pulling away from stationary in both drive and reverse. When I give it some throttle, the revs rise slowly and the car eventually pulls away very slowly. It feels like its pulling in third, but since it happens in reverse as well I guess that can't be the case. Also, when I put the steering on full lock there is a chuntering sound which I guess is the power steering pump, but I'm not too sure.

It seems too much of coincidence that all these problems should occur simultaneously. But I can't think of a likely connection between them. Anybody got any ideas on the likely problems? And how much is it going to cost!

Cheers

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Angling

Does the engine respond properly to blips of the throttle when in Park, or is it sluggish even when not driving the car?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Its sluggish in park, but seems to be fine once the car is rolling

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Angling

Have a check for collapsed air hoses, wet air filter, rag in the intake, then have a look at turbo delivery pipe.

Reply to
mrcheerful

No, what I was trying to get at is if the engine is not engaged to the drive train does it still not seem lively?

Reply to
Rob graham

Sorry, I wasn't very clear! When the engine is not engaged with the drive train it remains sluggish. I guess that this suggests that it's an engine problem rather than a gearbox problem as mrcheerful has suggested elsewhere in this thread.

Reply to
Matthew Angling

Yes. At least you know that it's not the brakes binding, or something like that.

If mrcheerful's suggestions do not give you the answer, I wonder whether you might have a timing problem, although why it should have slipped I don't know.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham