Newbie - High Mileage Commute

Hi,

Considering a new job with a commute of 130 miles per day (65 each way, 31k pa). Already got a 406 with 65k on it, but am looking to change it.

Any recommendations of similar size cars that would be good for such a relatively high mileage? Would new or nearly new be the best option, or go for a run-in diesel? Keep the 406 or are the running costs too great (it is 1996 model) compared to a newer car?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

Si

Reply to
Simon

I would have thought that the cost of depreciation on a newer car would outweigh the continuing maintenance on your current car. If this is going to be a long-term arrangement, I would probably look for a car that will happily go to 200k without loads of work in addition to servicing. I don't know whether the 406 fits this bill?

FWIW, I do about 24k a year, so I bought a 97 Honda Accord with 85k miles on it, with the intention of keeping it for five years. It cost me £3000, and costs about 30p/mile (TCO) to run.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

->Hi,

->

->Considering a new job with a commute of 130 miles per day (65 each

->way, 31k pa). Already got a 406 with 65k on it, but am looking to

->change it.

That's what I do, and have been doing so for years.

->Any advice would be greatly appreciated,

Buy a old diesel car and a good radio, use old diesel till it brakes, scrap it and transfer the radio to another old diesel car and repeat.

With the money you save have another nicer car for the weekens.

Reply to
Geoff

What's the fuel consumption of the car you have at present, and how much might you expect to get for it? My attendance at recent auctions tells me that cars such as yours don't fetch very much, though its (relatively low) mileage is in its favour. A run-in diesel is the eventual answer, though it might be worth keeping yours until it needs _expensive_ repairs. Others will no doubt advise as to model.

Reply to
DB.

The 406 petrol used with a steady foot on a run should give you 40mpg. I run a Xantia 1.9TD which returns an *average* of 48mpg and on a run should give me 55-60mpg. It depends on your driving style. How about using the 406 for a month to see what mpg you are actually returning?

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

That's exactly what I do ! Mondeo 1.8 TD Estate for work and towing, currently on 162k miles and a kit car for the weekend. Mondeo just does what it says on the tin. Finally needs a clutch, apart from that it's been very reliable, comfortable (designed for sales reps) and I get about 45 mpg on average, can be around 52mpg if I try hard but it's heavy and old school diesel isn't terribly efficient.

Reply to
Rushing7

Well to be fair, if you change the car you've the trouble you know about with problems just waiting for you to discover! :)

We don't know what model 406 you have, but unless it's the 3.0 V6 and you drive it reasonably carefully, you should do okay.

The trouble with changing the 406 for something is that you'll lose stacks in depreciation.

If you have lots of cash kicking about, the Skoda Superb TDI is a nice idea...

Or an LPG conversion on a petrol 406?

Reply to
DervMan

I wish mine did. My 1.9TD averages (on a 70mph 40 mile run down the motorway) about 42 to the gallon. It's a bit variable some weeks I get 45 some I get 40. I see from the service history that fuel consumption has been an issue with this car but what to do about it?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Yes, quick, change it. Cars all break after 70,000 miles. Get a new BMW

120d.

Yes, the running costs of a 1996 model Pug 406 are extortionate. I can tell this without knowing the engine size or anything, you know.

I may be back in a moment or twenty with a serious response, but I'm knackered and may well fall asleep.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Get it looked at.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Simon ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

You want a nice Toyota Yaris, you do.

Are you a basketball player?

Reply to
Adrian

LMAO

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

It has been, they can't find anything wrong. Passes the MOT emmissions test too.

Reply to
Malc

Not sure if your PUG has the 2 year/20k servicing ?

Don't believe it - change oil every 10k at least (taxi drivers around here say they do their 10k changes around 7/8/9 k - a litlle early basically) , don't thrash a cold engine, (no short trips - but this won't effect you anyway) and you'll be fine for 150k

don't believe some idiots who say theres no point in spending money servicing an old car - If its a new engine/gearboc then thats a different issue

Only issue PUGS can get irritating little glitches - If these happen/become an issue - change but otherwise ther's no point - certainly unless you are very well paid in your job there's no point in getting a new car right now

ANd dont get a 1series BMW - surely the ugliest car from BMW since the last one :-)

Reply to
Tommy

Thanks,

some good advice (also some indifferent/sarcastic advice, but generally good!). I shall keep the 406 (2.0 GLX) for the medium term just for the commute, and consider a nice weekend car. I shall consider a more regular oil change.

Already seen the afore mentioned irritating little glitches - but nothing too major.

Cheers, one and all,

Simon.

Reply to
Simon