Renault Clio idle problem

Hi guys, I've got a 1993-L Renault Clio RL Oasis with the single-point injection

1171cc engine. The car has done 102,000 miles, serviced every 6,000 miles (last service at 96,000), MOT carried out in September this year.

Recently I've been having issues with the idle and stalling. On cold or damp mornings (it seems, although that might not be the cause), the engine will cut out if I let go of everything. i.e. if I'm in traffic and slip into neutral with no throttle, the engine splutters a bit and cuts out. Starting the engine again makes an awful noise as it starts so quickly that I can't turn the key back again quickly enough...

I've also noticed that the engine seems to idle quite slowly, there's not a lot of power pulling away from junctions (the engine seems to shudder a lot while pulling away) and that when returning to idle from high revs (even when warm), the engine seems to struggle not to stall itself.

I've spent a lot of money on this car recently (MOT needs £400 welding...) so I don't want to take it to a garage straight away and say "here's an open chequebook, fix what's wrong". Does anyone have any ideas what might be the issue and whether it's user-fixable? I'm reasonably competent at taking stuff apart, having managed some of the 4-spanner tasks in the Haynes manual :)

TIA,

Reply to
Ian Cowley

If its a ENERGY engine I'd advise you to get rid of it, these engines have a history of being duff, it looks like you might have been lucky and missed this series of engine, Apparently I was lucky for my engine to reach 40K on the clock, let alone 102 like yours! I'm sorry I can't be of some help, though apart from checking the usual plugs, battery, voltages, alternator etc.

Reply to
exxos