Oil in Cooling System

My 1995 Polo 1.4 was loosing coolant slowly but surely about 6 months ago. A treatment of leak stopping coolant additive resolved the problem, but it has now returned, accompanied by engine oil in the cooling system. After the engine is switched off and the engine cools down, a layer of oil is clearly visible in the expansion tank. There is no evidence of coolant in the oil, so I am puzzled as to what is causing this.

Any ideas?

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Weightman

Head gasket - classic symptoms.

Reply to
Grunff

After all these years why can't they make cylinder head gaskets that don't leak? Better still, go back in time and cast the head integral with the block. In view of the time the problem has been going on you'll probably need the head skimming. That can increase the compression ratio, then maybe you'll put two gaskets on. Better to buy a second hand head (which hasn't been skimmed). DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

the extra compressions really not going to give you a problem on a 1.4 polo engine.

Reply to
Duncan Wood