Discovery TD5 Cooling System Problem

Hi,

Can anyone offer me some advice please?

I have a 2000 Discovery TD5. It has done around 53K miles.

When accelerating air can be heard travelling through the heater matrix behind the dashboard.

The expansion tank was nearly empty and I filled it up about two weeks ago. Today it was empty again, so I topped it up and started the engine, all the coolant I added immediately disappeared into the system, so I topped up the expansion tank again, this did not disappear. I bled the system via the bleed screw in the top hose. I then road tested and have allowed it to cool completely. The level in the expansion tank has dropped slightly, but I think this is normal expansion/contraction.

I have only had the car since May this year, and found that one of the bolts securing the radiator was almost falling out, I have re-tightened this, but now suspect that someone has been here before me! The oil is in great condition, with no evidence on the stick of emulsification. The engine runs fine. There is no water on the floor when it's parked. Is it possible that a new radiator was fitted and not bled very well? The radiator looks to be much cleaner than the A/C unit, so I am wondering if it was replaced.

Any clues as to where about two litres of coolant may have gone?

Regards. Paul.

Reply to
Paul Frost

In message , Paul Frost writes

I remember the service manager at my local LR main dealer telling me that the Discovery Td5 cooling system can be difficult to bleed. I don't recall the details but maybe an expert will soon be along here with advice.

I would also mention that I had a Discovery Td5, from new in March 2000, and twice experienced loss of coolant, to the extent that the expansion tank needed about a pint every 500 miles or so.

The first occurrence was during its fourth year, and was cured by a new radiator, supplied and fitted 'free', under the LR 4th-year Approved Warranty I had bought at great expense.

Then, when it was just short of 5 years old and had covered about 56,000 miles, the level in the expansion tank again started dropping slowly. It turned out to be a seeping core plug and was fixed under the LR 5th year Approved Warranty but my dealer had to get the OK from the warranty company's engineer. The mechanic who did the work told me that it would involve removing a manifold and it was possible that bolts/studs would break. My dealer therefore delayed taking my Discovery in until they had got replacement bolts/studs in stock and someone lined up to drill out any broken ones. In the event, the job went smoothly.

Reply to
Peter

Peter,

Thanks for the info. All sounds very expensive to me. I had a Shogun before the Disco, as such I am not accustomed to failures, just twice yearly services... Oh well I was warned be a friend that Disco's have their own "character".

Thanks again. Regards Paul.

Reply to
Paul Frost

In message , Paul Frost writes

It's easy to become addicted to Land Rovers. Despite the coolant problems with our 2000 Discovery Td5, we traded it in last March for a

6-months old DiscoveryTd5 ES Premium, the eighth Land Rover my wife and I have owned over the past 30+ years - and every one was bought with her enthusiastic approval. Maybe we are both nuts!

I hope your problem turns out to be no more than an airlock in the system

Reply to
Peter