Omega Climate Problem

Hi All, CDX climate control is blowing barely warm air.Car is warming up ok but heating is not working. I've changed the control unit with another from a breakers today but to no avail. In fact it's probably got worse. With the original unit,when manually overidden the face vents did produce some heat on fan speed 2 - 3 set at 27 deg C to Hi. If the fan speed was increased the heat was diluted to zero. Now the side window vents provide some heat manually but the centre face ones are cold. On auto there is no heat at all. I've tried recirculation & Eco mode but again no results. Any ideas on how to resolve? Cheers.

Reply to
Barnes

It sounds like either there's only a trickle of water going through the heat exchanger, or the air control is knackered somehow. Some cars (most with climate control?) have a motorised flap which controls the amount of air coming from outside or via the heater. As you've changed the controller and made the problem worse I'd say that the motor is not driving for some reason.

But I'm guessing.

Reply to
malc

"malc" wrote in news:69Amh.24623$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

Omegas have separarte driver/passenger heating controls and must therefore employ a flap valve system. However, since the OP indicates that both sides are similarly cold, it seems to point to a possible blockage or airlock in the matrix.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Reply to
Barnes

"Barnes" wrote in news:9tAmh.50706$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net:

Reply to
Stu

Sounds more like there isn't enough heat going through the matrix, I'd be looking at cooling system components first. Is it full? thermostat OK? 2 litre Omegas do suffer from head problems in that the head corrodes between cylinder 4 and the water jacket - a head skim solves that. Though if that were the problem you'd get constant steam from the exhaust.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Stu

I've bled the system & the hoses leading to the matrix do get hot (ish). The heater outlet motor servo's have been reset, you can here them moving. Do you think it'll need the dash out to find the heater flap valve? Thanks.

Reply to
Barnes

"Barnes" wrote in news:mPAmh.30979$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

Wouldn't have thought so. The centre console, perhaps. Pointless speculating, you really need a workshop manual or the advice of someone who knows Omegas. There are such people who post here quite regularly so keep your eyes peeled. You sure the heater hoses are nice and hot i.e. equally as hot as the radiator hoses?

Good luck!

Stu

Reply to
Stu

I think this may be worth following up. As Stu has said they should be as hot as the radiator pipes. Try flushing them out.

Apologies if this appears a few times. Gargle Gropes is playing up again.

Reply to
Malc

The hoses you are talking about are the metal ones in the cabin, below the dash on the drivers side - have to remove the kick panel to get to them. Both of those pipes should be too hot to touch once the engine is hot and the heating is on.

If they are not hot the heater bypass valve does stick on occasion. That is behind the drivers side head, below the skuttle and about 30 quid for a new one.

If they are hot it's likely to be the control unit. This seems to be the most common source of problems with the heating in ECC equipped Omegas. There is no guarantee that the one you tried was working.

Reply to
rp

Hi, Just noticed that when I turn the climate off, both temperature setting LCD's have 2 dashes on each a few seconds before shutting down. The original ECU did not display this. Is this an indication of a faulty unit? Cheers.

Reply to
Barnes