Omega rocker gasket

Got a slight weep of oil from the rocker gasket ( V6 2.5 petrol ) .Called local VX dealer for a new gasket, quote "Are you sitting down? It will be £64 plus vat as you must buy the rocker cover as well. Its in the set". Called local motor factors :- price £6.43 for a gasket.

  1. Are the VX dealership taking the p*ss?
  2. Has the motor factor got it wrong?
Reply to
Omega Man

No. The gasket failed so often that vx decided to modify its design, this entailed a new cover. VX only sell the modified part as they don't want more claims for leaks, after dealers fit the old bad design. The car shops don't care and only sell the pattern, original type gasket.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

In message , MrCheerful writes

Still, you could replace the old style gasket ten times before you would be out of pocket compared to buying the offering from VX

Reply to
Paul Giverin

the problem is they are a pig to get at. you wouldn't want to change one twice.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

You could buy 10 pattern ones for the price of the Vauxhall one but what about the labour cost and the oil leak on your nice new drive?

We were relieved when Vauxhall changed the design as we did not get customer grief when the gasket leaked.

These are not pleasant to change and the labour content of the repair is significant whoever does it.

Reply to
Alan

In message , Alan writes

I wasn't aware it was a big job.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

You misspelt "complete bastard of a job".

JB

Reply to
JB

In message , JB writes

I'll take your word for it. What's so difficult about it?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In article , Alan writes

It is also the misfire that happens when the plug holes fill up with oil from the leaking gasket.

Reply to
marc