OT: FFS Car sorted, central heating leaks

As header, no sooner have I sorted all the car problems and won the coveted MOT, the bloody central heating makes its mark on the living room ceiling. Going to the floor above reveals a cut out in the wood flooring under the carpet. One nut on what I think is called a manifold is covered in copper sulphate. Nip up the joint I thought. As soon as I touched it, hot water exploded all over the place. It's an 8mm pipe going into a joint. Any ideas on sealing it up good and proper? I drained the system down and wrapped some ptfe tape round which has resulted is a very slow seep, when I brought the system back up to operating pressure (combi boiler). The nut that screws into the manifold bit seems to be 'stretched' ie, it does not feel like it will nip up if I put any more pressure on it. Can I get a new nut and olive I think it is, and get the thing to compress in a water tight manner?

Reply to
Tunku

If there's an olive involved then the threads are neither here nor there, it's the olive that makes the seal. New olive will help but you'll have to cut the pipe off to get shot of the existing olive. My suggestion would be to get some Fernox LS-X, which is a plumbing mastic and bloody great stuff. Undo the joint, clean and dry everything off, smear LS-X all round the olive, remake the joint, don't overtighten (it's like doing brake unions), give it a few hours to set if you can, then see if it holds pressure.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

PS A B&Q of any size will definitely sell you it, no doubt any other big DIY chain, or definitely a plumber's merchants. It's LS-X you want, not any other Fernox product.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

"Vim Fuego" wrote in news:C259h.51305$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-gui.ntli.net:

Right you are, I'l look out for that tomorrow, at least the system is limping along tonight - bloody cold up here.

Reply to
Tunku

Hey, have the off-topic brigade all gone to sleep?

Reply to
Art

It's not off-topic :-) I use Fernox LS-X anytime I'm working on a car coolant system, great for radiator hoses etc.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Ah but he entitled this thread "OT: FFS......". It makes a subtle difference.

Reply to
malc

Not really, the subject line identifies it as off-topic.

Reply to
Art

If you want to post something of topic then you put an OT in front of it.

Reply to
Malc

Which will be why he did. The problem has arisen because it included a colon after the OT which OE neatly strips out when a reply is made. Blame Microsoft!

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Or those who use MS software?