Peculiar Road Markings

Hi all,

On a road near to my house, they have recently painted a series of bizarre markings. At several points along the road are painted two white squares next to each other, both coloured red. One has a bicycle symbol in it and the other has the number 6 in it. I was wondering if anyone knows the significance of these markings as everyone I've asked around here hasn't a clue.

Cheers, Richard

Reply to
Richard Conway

They mark one of the new-ish network of national cycle routes. the 6 is the route number.

Reply to
pyruse

That is the mark of the devil. He rides a bicycle these days, you know.

Reply to
neutron

Could be. White squares coloured red are pretty mystical to start with.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

And there is only one 6 these days, cutbacks dontchaknow

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

The message from Richard Conway contains these words:

Means you get six points for a cyclist, innit?

Reply to
Guy King

Only the one in the world *you* inhabit maybe.

As we all know, cyclists are in a world of their own most of the time...

Reply to
PC Paul

Probably a Sustrans route. Have a look on their website and see if route 6 goes past.

FWIW, I am a cyclist and I hate Sustrans paths (and most other cycle paths). Most of them require you to avoid uncontrolled dogs or live in constant fear of people reversing out of drives. Oh yeah, and you lose priority at every side road.

Next time you feel like bellowing at a cyclist to "get on the cycle path", imagine how difficult and dangerous it would be to drive at 20mph on the pavement!

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

quite easy with no accountability, traceability or insurance and licence and mot requirements, not to mention tyre and light requirements

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I cycle to work as I work in the centre of Oxford and there's nowhere to park. I grant you that most cyclists are in a world of their own and ignore road rules but we're not all like that! I've been a cyclist, motorcyclist, minibus driver and car driver so I would hope that I'm a bit more user-friendly to everyone. And I never cycle without lights at times I would use lights if driving a motor vehicle.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Sounds like the route markings from Sustrans for the national cycle network, route no. 6

Try

and see if it says anything

Reply to
R. Murphy

2 white squares, both coloured red?????????????????
Reply to
SimonJ

Which is fine, because cyclists only kill anyone once every 10 years or so, and are a far greater danger to themselves.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

The message from "R. Murphy" contains these words:

And prams - don't forget them.

Reply to
Guy King