Rover 200 coolant loss

Hi all,

Wonder if you can help - I bought a 1.6 '99 Rover 200 on a T plate last month and the coolant level drops quite rapidly (full to empty in one week). I plan to take this back to the dealer under warranty but want to have an idea of what the common causes could be. I haven't checked the dipstick yet to see if there is any emulsion in the sump!

Secondly, what engine is fitted to these beasts (rover/honda)?

Many thanks, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

Having suffered the same syptoms, mine is currently in the garage having the headgasket replaced as do most of them eventually.

The chances of it being anything else is remote but go and take it to have a gas test on the header tank.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Hi Andy,

Thanks - this was my initial thought :(

To where does the coolant leak? Into the sump or perhaps chamber?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

It's a K series 16v by the way.

Although you are losing a lot of water, I guess there might be a small chance it's the inlet manifold gasket. They all leaked as well and it would of course prove to be a lot cheaper option but usually I think you can see water around the block somewhere. On mine you could see the wtaer on the left hand front corner of the block which is misleading but it wicks around from the back.

If there no other symtoms, it must be disappearing out the exhaust pipe, though mine was not excessively cloudy and the gas test would confirm it.

The water pumps also leak but I very much doubt that amount.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Sounds like head gasket failure. Very common on K Series engines.

sponix

Reply to
sPoNiX

No, not at all. Inevitable on a K series!! If you have to buy one, keep a spare £400 quid ready for a HGF without warning!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

Checked the dipstick yesterday - emulsion :(

Thankfully this is covered by the warranty :)

The car has done 48k - I'll probably get the cambelt changed at the same time. What is the recommended replacement intervals for this?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
marpate1

40,000 !!!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Possibly been done then.

Could not see a sticker saying so, but I will check :)

Reply to
marpate1

The message from " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" contains these words:

Gawd, an optimist!

Reply to
Guy King

Would "Hope it's been done as I'm flat broke" be better ;)

Think I'll get it done anyway when the heads off as it shouldn't cost too much. May even suggest that they do it under warranty as if it breaks in the next month or so, it'll cost them even more.

Reply to
marpate1

48k as it happens...!

Or as often as the HG requires replacement, which will be roughly at 40-50k intervals!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Well, that's really confused me because I've always had in mind it was

40000. Your answer made me look at the RAVE CD I've just got off of Ebay - which is excellent by the way - and that says 60,000.

So what is it really ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Was it not 96k back in 1990 ?

Peter

Reply to
powerstation

You're a great help. ;-)

The same debate is raging on one of the Rover forums and opinion appears just as divided ranging from 48000 to 90000 I think.

Clearly I've been too cautious in the past and will settle for the

60000 figure as per RAVE.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Reading on, it appears that Rover did extend it to 96K in the early '90s but had lots of failures between 70 - 90k and it was brought back down again to 60K.

Then if cost was not an issue, it was frequently included in the 48K service.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap