Petrol Prices Mean Fuel Efficient Driving

As petrol prices continue to soar upwards, drivers are beginning to feel the pinch. However, it is possible to save fuel by making it last longer by driving with the following tips put into practice and every drop matters as more and more drivers are running on fumes. CONTINUES....

gardenandgreen

Seems that as petrol prices increase, gardenandgreen's spelling, punctuation and grammar decrease. What do they teach in school these days?

Harrumph.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Been driving very economically for years. Annoys the types that zoom off from every junction, but they don't get there any slower when behind me, just like to stick to my rear bumper with fury in their eyes. Hardly use my brakes so must be doing something right.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

Hasn't this:- "Speed - The optimum speed for fuel consumption for most cars is

56mph."

been proven to be a fallacy?

Reply to
David Quinton

And more often than not, the ones who zoom off from every junction are standing at the next traffic lights when you reach them! LOL

Reply to
Graz

I zoom off from every junction. I also get over 59MPG out of my Mondeo. Accelerating slowly doesn't aide economy.

Reply to
Conor

Funny seeing the word "zoom" and "Mundeo" in the same sentence - not something I would normally see together. How the f*ck can a shitty diesel Mundeo zoom anywhere?

Just shows how little you van drivers really know!

Reply to
Slider

Much as I dislike Mondeos in general , the modern diesel variation with the

6 speed box is extremely quick. I actually thought they are a little too sharp for the average driver, they can easily get the wheels spinning during acceleration, especially leaving roundabouts and the like, which could easily catch out an unwary owner at first. One of my customers has one and gets 55mpg plus with a large caravan on tow.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I drove a diesel Mondeo a couple of years ago and I didn't like it all. I thought it was slow, noisy, rattly (compared with a 2002 Passat TDI - which was in for repair). Granted, note sure if it was the 115 or 130 bhp variant, but overall did not rate it at all. Never been a big fan of Fords though!

Reply to
Slider

Indeed those pansies that pussy foot around are hilarious not only do they take so much longer to get from A-B they are using more fuel.

Reminds me of a Jasper Carrot rant about being passed by a 911 doing 140, and the "He won't get there any quicker" from the woman in his passenger seat.

Reply to
Depresion

Yes at great length, 80mph seems to be a good seed for my car (or rather

130kph).
Reply to
Depresion

They do vary enormously, if one of the late ones are rattly it may be the sign of an injector fault, which sometimes seems to come and go for a while before terminal failure. There is a massive difference between 115 and 130 versions. Passatt is a much nicer vehicle on all counts. I am convinced that the Mondeo only sells because of shows like top gear. The new (57 plate) Mondeo diesel my neighbour had , which ran out of oil before 5000 miles were up has now been traded in at a 4000 pounds loss against a Toyota, she swears she will only ever buy Japanese from now on.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm not a ford fan, but a lateish TDCI 130BHP Mondeo is actually quite quick. Not a supercar, but quick enough to surprise some cars.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Mondeo diesels were dreadful, but the current 130 has a very similar output to the VAG PD130 engine, and is probably a bit quieter too.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Similar to mine. Is that your mapped FR?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Certainly enough to keep up with my old 3.0 Supra up a steep hill (until we got to 70 ;-)

Reply to
PCPaul

So if thats the case why are airlines instructing pilots to fly slower to save on fuel? Does the same not apply to a car engine?

Reply to
gardenandgreen

every powered vehicle has a sweet spot in the power and speed combination that will give the greatest economy. On a modern low revving, slippery car that may well be around about 70 or so. Certainly moving much more slowly is unlikely to be more economical, which is why use around town is usually quite poor on fuel, most cars on a manual box need to be in third at speeds near thirty.

Harsh acceleration is unlikely to give very good economy either. Smooth driving with good mechanical 'feel' can give startling improvements in economy.

But no, slower is not always better (certainly not where economy is concerned)

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I've experimented with my Fabia vRS. The sweet spot is between 70 and 80 indicated, as far as I can tell. Slower, and economy drops a little. Go any faster and it drops quite rapidy. It's been done to death on uk.rec.driving, and will vary from car to car.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Plus you keep stopping & starting.

Although I've never seen anything that uses less fuel at 80 than at 50.

Reply to
Duncan Wood