Peugeot 306 --- Bleedin Brakes... (long....very long)

I recently fitted new flexi hoses between the brake pipe and the callipers on a 1997 306 1.lax. not ABS. All went fine fitted both sides, then the bleeding commenced.

Again all went fine, after bleeding pedal travel approx 13 - 20mm before brakes fully on. Refitted the front and rear wheels as I had bled the whole system as recommended Haynes manual.

This is where the fun begins, start engine to take car for a "test drive" and stopping ability of car, put foot on the footbrake after releasing handbrake, foot travels nearly to bulkhead!! So, I think maybe air still in system, so begin bleeding sequence again. Once completed same problem, suspected the servo, but again after following Haynes procedures for testing servo, it does what it says it should.

So any suggestions, other that a gallon of U/L and matches would be welcomed.

Reply to
Mark Fry

Why the hell did you even consider the servo? If the servo is faulty, you get a hard pedal which requires a lot of effort.

Knackered master cylinder seals.

Reply to
Conor

As he says, if you're not losing fluid & you've bled it properly then master cylinder seals.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Bloody half-cast otters!!!!!

Reply to
David R

"David R" wrote in news:Nz1Ng.12143$SH2.7814 @newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

Reply to
Tunku

It's hugely unlikely for the master cylinder seals to just become knackered on the day you've been doing the hoses, and the usual problem with master cylinder seals is that the system bleeds ok, then the pedal slowly sinks as the seals allow fluid back to the reservoir.

What was the pedal like before you started the work?

When you press the brake and it goes nearly to the floor, does it improve if you take your foot off the brake and re-apply it?

Have you checked the brakes are working on each wheel by jacking up, spinning the wheels and pressing the brake?

Have you clamped off the hoses one at a time in order to find which one improves the situation, and therefore where the problem lies?

Have you had the rear drums off, and are the self-adjusters working?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Knackered master cylinder seals.

As he says, if you're not losing fluid & you've bled it properly then master cylinder seals.

It's hugely unlikely for the master cylinder seals to just become knackered on the day you've been doing the hoses, and the usual problem with master cylinder seals is that the system bleeds ok, then the pedal slowly sinks as the seals allow fluid back to the reservoir.

What was the pedal like before you started the work?

Travelled approx 75 - 100mm brakes fully on. But as I had replaced the front brake pads at the same time as the hoses, I assumed that the pedal would be a little less before fully on. This is the case, less pedal travel but only with the engine off.

When you press the brake and it goes nearly to the floor, does it improve if you take your foot off the brake and re-apply it?

Yes, but only with the engine off, if the engine is on then pedal travel is roughly the same.

Have you checked the brakes are working on each wheel by jacking up, spinning the wheels and pressing the brake?

Yes, all four wheels checked separately and brakes working well on all four corners.

Have you clamped off the hoses one at a time in order to find which one improves the situation, and therefore where the problem lies?

No, but this I shall try today or this evening.

Have you had the rear drums off, and are the self-adjusters working?

Yes, self adjusters working ok on both rear brakes.

Steve

I shall try the clamping individually of the pipes and see if I can find where the problem might be. I have more cars than I care to remember over the past 20 years, but this one has me scratching my head.

Like you used to get the 4.50pm Marina, perhaps this is 3.20 Peugeot, well they do finish earlier on the continent, don't they......

Reply to
Mark Fry

: As he says, if you're not losing fluid & you've bled it properly then : master cylinder seals.

Or the master cylinder - reservoir valve, which is a bit like a seal but quite the same thing.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston
[...]

...but very likely for the master cylinder seals to fail when you bleed the brakes because the seal is entering a usually-unused part of the m/c bore that often has corrosion pits.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Sorry, I disagree.

Whenever I've had master cylinders fail, it's been when brakes have been bled as you take the seals past the normal length of travel in the cylinder and sometimes there's enough of a lip to rip them to bits.

Reply to
Conor

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "shazzbat" saying something like:

Happens a lot, actually.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon