306 - squeaky wheel + Bosch caliper/pad instructions

Our 306 (1998/S reg, 1.4l petrol) has developed a squeaky driver's side wheel. At various speeds (but most noticeable at lower speeds) you can hear a repetitive squeak which varies with road speed and occurs on each revolution. The squeak is often worse when the wheel is turned (left or right).

I've taken the wheel off and rotated the discs and that seems to be source of the problem. At one point on the revolution there's a slight squeak. I've released the caliper (so the pads aren't touching as much) and it goes away/significantly reduces.

We used to have a bit of a squeak when using the brakes lightly or for about the first second of heavier braking. We went up to Wales (from Surrey) 2 weeks ago and only noticed this new non-braking squeak then - after going along an unmade road (very bumpy, dusty and gritty). I wondered whether it was some grit that had got between the pad/disc.

Drove back down a week later and problem was no better after the 200 mile journey. MOT a day or so later was fine - no problem with the brakes efficiency etc. I asked about the squeak - and they didn't have much to say, except it sounded metal to metal - which I'm not certain of

- but is a squeak.

The pads and discs were done a year or so ago (can't remember exactly - but certainly over a year - I think I got a letter recently about it being a year ago) and the pads are still fine.

This evening I was planning on removing the pads and checking them over and refitting them - unfortunately, I cannot find the brake system I have fitted in the Haynes manual! These calipers have Bosch cast into them, but the Haynes manual says Bendix were fitted on this model and doesn't even have any Bosch system listed (except the Bosch ABS controller, and we don't have ABS, and doesn't cover mention Bosch calipers). I did manage to get the pads loose in their holders so they rattled, and passed a bit of paper between pad and disc in the hope to brush anything out which might have got in there. But after putting wheel back on and trying the car out again, the squeak is still there.

So - 2 questions:

1.) Any suggestions as to what the cause of the problem is (and solution)? 2.) Can anyone provide information about how to remove (and refit) the front pads on a 1998/S reg 306 1.4l which has Bosch calipers fitted?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

Warped disc could do it but I can't believe that you're not gett judder on braking (and you haven't mentioned any). I wonder if it could be some sort of irregularity close to the middle of the disc, just outside the braking contact area, which could be rubbing against the pad. But you would think something like that would wear away quite quickly...

Does the disc/wheel get much hotter on this side than the other?

I don't know whether this is a bad idea or not but what about swapping the discs over and see if the problem disappears or 'follows' the suspect disc from one side to the other?

Ah the joys of Peugeot / Citroen brakes. "Pierre mon ami, what brakes 'ave we got in ze part bin today for us to fit before we go to lunch for 'ow you say three hours?"

Reply to
Vim Fuego

What you having tea breaks evey 15 mins lol

Reply to
Chris

Well, all sorted (for now!)

I found some info about the (Bosch) brake system, and it's standard on the N5 model (1997 onwards?) apparently.

To remove the pads, just remove the lower bolt from the caliper. Rotate the caliper upwards, pivoting on the top pin/slide. The pads can then be removed.

The pads have a small leaf spring top and bottom. These appear to stop the pads from rattling (forwards/backwards) in their slot. However, on the inner pad, the top spring was missing and the lower spring was a bit bent. I also noticed that this pad was showing greater wear on the top half than the lower half (ie. the pad wear wasn't parallel to the back of the pads). Both pads had plenty of life left.

I cleaned up the pads and discs using some Benbo brake cleaner (the back of the pads looked almost like new!), refitted the pads, and put some copper grease on the back of the pads (there appeared to have been some there before, but was cleaned off with the cleaner) and refitted the caliper.

Since then I've had no more squeaks. I plan on replacing the pads sometime due to the uneven wear and missing spring (no idea if I can get the springs separately) - but they appear to be working perfectly - and if I hear the squeak again, I'll just replace them, rather than cleaning it up again.

So, either it was the bent spring, change in copper grease, or a good clean of the pads/discs which sorted it.

Not having changed pads/done any work on brakes before - I must admit - the Bosch calipers on the 306 were very easy to work with - literally just 1 bolt to remove - nice and easy.

Only thing was, I didn't have any threadlock to put on the bolt, as per Peugeot instructions. And I wasn't certain of the torque to tighten the bolt to. It was quite tight to undo, but that could be down to threadlock. The Peugeot printout I had said "tighten the bolt to 3 da.Nm." I'm not sure what the daNm is - but my torque wrench didn't go down as low as 3 Nm - but it's tight. I'll get threadlock for next time. Do you think it'll be okay?

Thanks

David Hearn

3DaNM is 30NM
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Aha - I did wonder about that - but it wasn't in the wrench manual. I'll check it when I can to make sure it's okay.

Thanks again

David

Reply to
David Hearn

As long as you did it tight it should be o,k

Reply to
Chris