Picasso battery type

Looks like I'm in need of a new battery very soon. What I'm confused about is the type of replacement battery required. I have read conflicting. The question is, do I need a gel battery?, & is the original battery gel? Looking at the original battery there's no info relating to this. Most battery websites on their fitment list state a standard lead acid battery with a vent, including halfords when I enter my reg number. The only conflicting info I have is on the picasso forum in a post from stim (who I know gives good advice) a couple of years ago,

Also this website,

when using the battery finder, on all xsara picasso batteries it states "not suitable for underseat installations", which seems strange as I'm sure all xsara picassos have the battery under the passenger seat.

The owners handbook says "The battery should be replaced with one of the same type (with a vent plug). Well the standard batteries do have a vent plug (I did enquire with Tayna batteries), & it doesn't mention gel.

Now given that the cheapest gel battery delivered is £160, as opposed to a standard 3 year warranty battery at £60 delivered, & many websites state the standard battery is OK, I am close to ordering the standard, but the few bits of conflicting advice worries me a little.

Reply to
Dave Griffs

Normal Battery With a vent will be fine all the ones we service are normal batteries hth

Reply to
Redstar

-----Original Message----- From: Redstar [mailto: snipped-for-privacy@mz500r.co.uk] Posted At: 17 February 2010 22:37 Posted To: uk.rec.cars.maintenance Conversation: Picasso battery type Subject: Re: Picasso battery type

Normal Battery With a vent will be fine all the ones we service are normal batteries hth

Thanks. Doesn't seem the original battery was a gel, as you can here liquid when shacking it. I think the yuasa battery wasn't suitable as it isn't sealed, nothing to do with gel.

Reply to
Dave Griffs