problem with replacing anti-freze 405 diesel

Did my usual routine on buying a second hand car with limited history. This includes replacing anti freeze.

Drained and refilled but would not take full amount of 7.8 litres (about 1 litre short - its the non turbo 1.9) I had the car jacked up on stands to try and overcome the air blockage problem with the heater being higher than the rad cap. Took the car on a test run and topped up with a very small amount of water when cold. Had the car on an extended run yesterday and I noticed a pool of water by the expansion tank this morning. Checked the level and it was ok.

However, I ran the engine for a few minutes - no heater. Guess there is air in the system and dumped some water when the water pump stopped.

I had a petrol (old version) 405 and I used to lever off the heater hoses at the bulkhead but the new (post 93) diesel heater hoses seem impossible to get at.

I have tried the Haynes manual "cut off bottom of plastic bottle and use as a header tank" method. Just leaks water/anti-freeze.

Any suggestions on how to top up the system gratefully received?

Reply to
confused