Re: Focus Mystery Component ...

[...]

Words sound like "splurgel ding flockbucket " to my uneducated ears. And

> that does what, exactly ?

It just a solenoid valve.

As part of the control of evaporative emissions, the fuel tank is sealed and fumes are adsorbed by a charcoal canister, On your car this is behind the fuel tank.

When the ECU judges conditions are right, it opens the solenoid valve in the device you are asking about. Vacuum then transfers the vapours to the engine so they can be burnt.

A vacuum leak at the point you are talking about, and causing the symptoms you described, is a very common Focus problem; a mechanic familiar with the car would have diagnosed it in seconds. (The initial problem of the split in the radiator header rail is also known; usually you get a slow leak long before it fails completely. You do check fluid levels at each tankful of fuel, don't you?)

It won't do any harm to run around with the vacuum pipe plugged until parts are to hand, but don't forget it!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

I'm not trying to sell it.

If it looks like this:

then it is exactly what I've described it as.

Either you have misunderstood what you've been told, or the person who has told you is wrong.

There is no electrically-operated device on your Focus that is designed to retain vacuum for the brakes. In any case, it's an inherent characteristic of the servo that it retains enough vacuum for 4 or 5 operations after the engine has stopped.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

TBH, if you are unable to understand how this very simple system operates from my description, I'm not sure it's worth you bothering to try.

I respectfully suggest that you find yourself a 'Ford man' who has a bit of an idea, and leave it to him to sort out.

Having said that, I'm fairly patient, so I'll give it another go...

The device in question is an electrically operated solenoid valve that switches on or off to control vacuum. So yes, it is a vacuum valve, and yes, it is a solenoid valve. If it helps you, I will refer to it as an electrically operated vacuum solenoid valve.

To understand where it draws the fumes from, and where they go to, just follow the pipes that are clearly *not* the vacuum one.

What you describe as 'the brake servo vacuum line' is just a vacuum supply pipe that connects up everything that needs vacuum. (In the same way, a light switch in your house ultimately connects to the consumer unit, as do the sockets, but the light switch doesn't operate the sockets, does it?)

Just to further clarify the incorrect information you have received from elsewhere, the only petrol engines fitted to Mk1 Focuses are all Zetec, so all (petrol) versions have the electrically operated vacuum solenoid valve. Also, there is only one type of electrically operated vacuum solenoid valve fitted, regardless of engine size.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

This is generic, but may give you insight into how it works in greater detail:

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan