Fuel Vapor Canister removed completely

The mechanics never found the problem and I got tired of breathing gas fumes so I removed the Fuel Vapor Canister from my 94 Explorer and connected the vapor line directly to the CANP line.

...so far, no fumes; just wondering what the down side is?? Emissions issues??

Any ideas??

Thanks!

df

Reply to
freeman, d. l.

Evaporative emissions is the big bug-a-boo.... The cannister contains activated charcoal that absorbs fuel vapours and stores them.... Later, when the operating conditions are right, the vapour management valve (cannister purge valve) opens and the vapours are drawn into the intake manifold and are consumed in the engine. The EVAP vent valve most likely went with your cannister so there is the possibility that the system may overpressure and create problems of it's own.

While these chambers can be a tad spendy, if we are to remain socially responsible adults, it should be replaced at the earliest opportunity...

As for your "mechanics".... they certainly couldn't have tried very hard to find the source of your concern or they do not understand this... one of the simplest systems on the automobile...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hi Jim!

RE: ""The EVAP vent valve most likely went with your canister""

Thanks for the nice reply! Are you saying there is a valve inside the canister itself?? Are you suggesting a new canister may take care of the issue?

BIG Thanks!

dan

Reply to
freeman, d. l.

Remember we have an "old man memory thing" going on here...

I did manage to find some time to refresh my familiarity with this system.... to discover that, in '94, the Explorer didn't have a vent solenoid.... Sorry for the false alarm....

It is possible that a new cannister may solve the concern... What has happened with these older systems is that the vent to atmosphere could become restricted. When the cannister purge solenoid was turned on by the PCM, there could be enough vacuum created in the cannister that, under the right conditions, raw fuel could be drawn in to the cannister "flooding" it... even to the point that gasoline could leak from it....

At the very least, repairing the system so that it functions as intended would be the responsible thing to do.... We can't ever pretend to stop pollution in it's tracks, but we can all do our part to decrease the "footprint" we leave behind....

Reply to
Jim Warman