Re: Ford transit- Starting problem

On or around Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:02:32 -0600, "john ruler" enlightened us thusly:

i have a 1995 ford transit 2.5 (non turbo) diesel. when cold it has a >problem starting, it just keeps turning over but just will not start. i >have found that putting a very small amount of PETROL into the air intake it >fires over straight away. my transit is fitted with a bosch diesel pump. >engine only done 90,000 and has been owned by me for over 3 years. checked >for fuel leaks, air leaks and there is neither. engine does not smoke at all, > so is not the compression, the injectors or any thing like that. when it >has been started once will stop and start again ok all day. the cold arm >does move in and out when warm. > >Has any one got any advice of what might be wrong, many thanks

well, I could start by suggesting that you post in a more appropriate newsgroup, such as uk.rec.cars.maintenance. Followup set to there.

does the '95 ford Di have glowplugs?

why do you say that because it doesn't smoke it's not compression?

Chances are that if it doesn't smoke *at all*, it's not running enough fuel :-)

is there a cold-start device on the pump? is it working?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The message from Austin Shackles contains these words:

No.

Reply to
Guy King

On or around Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:20:53 GMT, Guy King enlightened us thusly:

heyho. much good setting followup-to: did, then. Or did you circumvent it?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The message from Austin Shackles contains these words:

The latter.

Reply to
Guy King

Glow plugs were never fitted to these engines.

When cranking does the engine smoke? If it doesn't, fuel isn't making it into the cylinders. If it is, chances are there's a compression problem.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

I've had this problem in the past with Transits, caused by a lazy starter motor or bad starter connections. If they turn even slightly slower than normal they can be very hard to start cold.

John

Reply to
John

Snap I have the same Transit and had the same problem I go to my usual ford transit forum:

and they put the finger on the problem right away.................Battery either low on charge or not up to scratch. I put the charger on it and next I try to start up it fires first time!!Great Forum for transit owner (only a member)MBS

Reply to
MrBlueSkye

The message from "MrBlueSkye" contains these words:

Had the same trouble all the time I was running things with that engine. The whole thing was fine until one or more things drooped a bit then it fell over. I reckon the whole thing was a bit marginal all round. A set of heater plugs would have made it much more reliable.

Reply to
Guy King