Re: Rover 214 Oil in Coolant Tank!!

>> I am a complete novice with engines so I will explain this the best way I >> can. Went to do my usual checks on my J reg Rover 214 SLI - power >> steering fluid fine, washer bottle fine, oil a bit low but clean and >> coolant tank full of old dirty oil! I filled this up about 3 weeks ago >> with the usual water/antifreeze and checked the oil and it was fine. >> Thing is I have been out in the car today and it drove fine, temp was >> normal, nothing to indicate that anything was wrong. Has anyone got any >> ideas?? I am hoping that it isn't a head gasket job etc ( I read the >> other post on the 220 gti) but I was surprised by the oil. >> Any help would be hugely appreciated. I need to get this sorted quickly > as >> I am due to take my test soon and the car is used for my son who is >> disabled. >> >> Many thanks, >> >> Gaynor > > Almost certainly head gasket I'm afraid. > > The Dervboy

Isn't there an inlet manifold gasket that goes first on these?, either a gasket or O ring, distributor end of the engine?

Whatever, get it checked as it isn't going to do the longevity of the engine any good as it is.

Reply to
Sean

Neil Williams

Many thanks to you all on the posts. Luckily my husband is quite good with cars and will be able to do the job - approx £30 for the Rover head gasket and £60 for the full set. He's done diesel head gaskets before (Peugeot) and rebuilt Landrovers so hopefully things will be ok - just hope that the engine block hasn't cracked.

Gaynor

Reply to
Gaynor