Renault Scenic : constant pitch noise problem

Would anyone know what the likely causes of a constant pitched noise, really noticeable above 40mph? It sounds as though the noise is coming from the rear (although I cannot be sure), yet it is a front wheeled drive car.

Is it likely to be a wheel bearing on the way out? What about the driveshaft or CV joint? I've tried driving with the steering wheel at full lock and there was no noise. The auto transmission kicks down and selects gears as it should too. The car was built in 2001 and has done 65,000 miles.

Any answers to the query would be gratefully received before I take it to the dealership

Reply to
ollie.sarah_37

probably a wheel bearing, they tend to sound most noticeable at multiples of twenty mph (on average vehicles), 40 is usually the first you hear.

Reply to
Mrcheerful