Replacement seatbelt stalk/socket

Hi all, i have a 1988 Nissan Bluebird (T72 UK built model) that has a problem with both nearside seatbelts. They usually need 5-10 attempts to get them to "click" into place, and occasionally they appear to have clicked in, only to pop out while we driving along ... which is rather disconcerting when carrying passengers! I guess it's the stalk/socket part that's at fault - perhaps lack of use (old, low-mileage car) has caused them to partially sieze-up inside? If so, are these all the same - i.e. can i just order new ones from a dealer? I would try a scrappy, but being seatbelts i think i'd prefer new ones just to be on the safeside.

TIA...Nick.

Reply to
Nick Challoner

Yep, you can get new ones but try cleaning the old ones out with some meths & then a spray of light oil. Then yank hard .

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you do need a replacement, have a look at

R. Murphy

Cheers for that, had a quick look at the site and gave them a call to confirm that i would need to install their belt as well as buckle (what i called the socket), which they confirmed would be the case because their design is slightly different to the original Nissan design. They couldn't be more helpful actually, they also suggested that i check for foreign bodies in the existing buckles (e.g. glass from a smashed window) which quite often cause the kind of problems i have. So i'll do that (along with Duncan's clearning suggestion) before buying replacements. Securon were also able to tell me which local motor parts places sell their belts which was helpful, especially as one of them can supply the two belts i'm after for around GBP 50.00 in total.

Compare that to Nissan who want GBP 106 for just the rear buckle, and the front buckle is no longer available! Well thanks Nissan, with aftermarket support like that i certainly won't be buying a new Nissan at any time in the future. Toyota can get me any part on a 1985 MR2 (even silly stuff such as decals or the bolt to hold the spare wheel in place) in around 3 days, and there's far fewer Mk1 MR2s on the road than there are Nissan Bluebirds.

...Nick.

Reply to
Nick Challoner