Reputable Scrapyard?

Hi.

I previously asked this question 'in thread' and it may have got missed.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a scrapyard either in the Leicester area or on-line. Specifically I'm looking for a Volvo 340 petrol tank.

Thanks,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Dixon

I think you should not be looking for a "reputable" scrap yard but for one with a tank in stock willing to sell it for a sensible amount. Let your fingers do the walking.

Reply to
David

Hi Rob,

Ho a proper scrapyard - those where the days. One where you got to climb over everything and sometimes spot the odd item that might come in handy, and just happens to find it's way into a large pocket...

Now you are not allowed near a scrapped car in case you hurt yourself and sue them.

Progress I suppose.

Cheers

Astraman

Reply to
Astraman

Before I try scrapyards, I always scour the freeads papers (always look online as it covers the whole country, rather than a localised area) for people breaking a car for spares that's the same model as mine (or would have parts to fit). I always look on motors.loot.com,

(ex-freeads),
(part of friday-ad) and

People are generally less greedy with prices than breakers yards as well.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Only been to a couple in recent years here Brighton way. They were both climb about & see what you can find. You did have to go through the 'security' room to get in and out of the last one though. I got told off for smoking in there as well. Fair enough I suppose, but a bit unexpected at a scrappy.

-

JR

Reply to
JR

I think you are getting a bit confused, mixing up the words reputable and scrapyard! I live in Leicester, and have never come across such a thing!

But from my experience these are OKish to deal with: Wigston car breakers,Magna Road,Wigston.2 blokes used to run this themselves at another location, they were quite good then,with reasonable prices, they got bought out by house builders, and moved to their present location, and expanded.They now employ a bunch of bozos who havent seen soap for the last 5 years.But, they do have a good selection of cars (mainly 5 years+ old), and have many 'off the shelf' parts, though probably not a fuel tank.They let you go round and search for what you want.Also, open all day Sat, + Sun morn.

Glenfield Breakers, Glenfield.A bit expensive,but they tend to have newer cars in.Not quite so neandethral (sp?) in their attitude.

Any of the breakers in Wesley St/Whitefield Rd. Cavemen still live there.Go suitably dressed in torn oil soaked jeans,with the usual application of old axle grease applied to face and hands to blend in with the locals.Grunt when grunted at, and you'll get on fine.Dont park your car there, you'll either get a puncture from the glass/nail surfaced road, or it'll be picked up to put in a crusher.Also wear wellies, as you'll need to wash off the wolf shit if you go round one of the yards.Otherwise there is a good selection of 5 yr old+ cars. Dont expect any help in getting anything off.

HTH Alan.

Reply to
A Lee

Nope. EU rules have stopped all of this.

Reply to
Conor

Well someone hasn't told them round here about it.

And the half decent bit you want is always at the bottom of the pile of cars, sitting on it's haunches in a sea of grease.

-

JR

Reply to
JR

Not round our way they haven't. I can name at least 2 in Glos that you can get your own bits off.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

.Not quite so neandethral (sp?) in their attitude.

Close. Neanderthal;-)

-- Malc Wond'ring Aloud

Get me out of my tree to reply

Reply to