Reverse light. and coolant

I did the window test with the pug last week. Just as I was about to pull away, I realised I hadn't tested the reverse lamp.

So, I did. No lights came on.

This evening I got around to getting on with resolving this.

Except that I don't seem to have a reverse light.

The car's 1992 and it looks like it wasn't designed to have one. There are 4 bulbs per cluster. Three of them are behind red plastic. Two are rear lights and one is a brake lamp. The 4th is an indicator behind white plastic. The only other bulbs I have are the fogs built in to the the bumper and the plate lights.

It looks to be designed like that and I'm pretty surprised that a reversing light doesn't appear to be a part of the possibilities.

I don't reverse much so it hadn't featured high on my list of things to do, but I was forced to do some work due to an overheat in stop-start traffic. The radiator sensor didn't kick in until I turned off the car and then turned on the ignition again. There's a tiny coolant leak at the very top of the radiator. Since the weather picked up I'm feeding it a litre per fortnight. The coolant had been spraying the sensor connectors with a fine mist and a bad connection developed with ingress.

I've tried to get at the micro leak with a soldering iron. It'll be three weeks before I'm in any position to lift the radiator due to work half way burning down (google news Crick Fire). Is this a situation where putting some radweld in may actually help or should I just keep on topping up until I can do a real seal or find a 205 in a scrap yard?

Reply to
Warwick

Did you check the fogs? There's only 1, the other is a reversing light.

I never had any success with radweld on my 205, if you haven't got the half hour it takes to change the rad, mine failed catastrophically very soon after it started using a litre every 3 or 4 days.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Our 92 Pug had what looked like 2 rear bumper fog lamps, but one of them was actually the reversing lamp (nearside, I think) It didn't work because the garage had failed to repolace the gearbox filler plug, which includes the reverse light switch ! Lol

Reply to
Lol

That makes sense. I've got what I thought was a fog that isn't lighting in spite of a new bulb in the bummper. It is behind a red lens but I'll have a look at the wires and follow them through.

Thank you.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick

yup, remember doing just that as it looks like a fog but isn't. Lol

Reply to
Lol

Managed to chase it through a bit this evening and you were spot on. I've not managed to fix it yet but at least I know where to head next.

Thank you so much.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick