Rhodes lifters very noisy on a rover v8?

MOT day yesterday! Got a pass no problem. I was a little ashamed as there was only 120 additional miles on the clock since the last MOT! Made up for it by taking her for a 30mile blast before the ink had a chance to try on the certificate! Your humble TR7V8 must be the best value fun open top V8 car you can buy, really enjoyed myself. The car drives and pulls like a train, 185 wide tyres trying to put 220lbft of torque down out of junctions is a laugh! Bouncy suspension coupled with 6 year old brake fluid and no ABS let alone power steering makes the drive so much more fun!

Still to fix the fuel pump but my bodge with a wire from the battery terminal lasted the morning, fuel pump wire enters the cabin behind the seats and the oil light is behaving it self so I think it's something under the dash.

Now to the engine noise, the reason I pulled the top end apart in the first place (and inevitably killed the fuel pump feed) was to clean the tappets and try and stop the horrible tappet tapping noise.

I now know the car has Rhodes lifters (tappets). The previous owner fitted them along with the realsteel Viper Hurricane camshaft. They are noisy as hell between 1k up to 2k rpm. From a web search these tappets bleed down at low rpm so they don't open the values fully but at high rpm they behave as normal tappets and away you go.

Many cars have a noisy tappet every so often, imagine 16 of them. It's a bit embarrassing driving through town with your engine sounding like it's about to blow up! I think I am going to change them for a set of normal ones over the winter and use the car more next year!

Has anyone experience of these tappets.

Will

Reply to
Will Reeve

Amen to that brother! Just watch the wet roundabouts, unless you want to exit backwards.

Did they change the rocker springs when they swapped the Camshaft? I have a similar noise from the left bank that's been diagnosed as the pushrods vaulting over the lobes on the camshaft, rather than following them completely. Apparently slightly stronger springs on the rocker arms will force the pushrods to follow the full profile of the cam, which quietens it down rather. Apparently this is not unusual with high- lifting camshafts.

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

In news:415fef3a$0$91282$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader03.plus.net, Will Reeve decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

My old SD1 Vitesse had exactly the same set up, Rhodes lifters and a Hurricane cam. Even with the preload on the followers adjusted correctly it rattled like a bastard at low revs. Occasionally it'd be quiet, but most of the time it rattled away at low revs. Went like stink though. Changing the oil far too often would keep them quietish for a few hundred miles but the first bit of hoonage applied and they'd be rattling again.

I tried everything, adjustable rockers, roller rockers (out of a 1960's Volvo Amazon, suprisingly enough), thinner oil, thicker oil, the lot. Always did it.

To be honest I wasn't that impressed with the Hurricane cam set up, even after a session on the rollers and re-chipping the ECU it was still weak at low revs. I ended up using a 3.9 camshaft and standard lifters. Lost the ability to rev >6500 rpm, but regained torque.

Reply to
Pete M

I'd agree. I fitted a mild road type recommended by many to my EFI, and never got anything like the increase in performance promised. If just changing the cam gave all the improvements claimed, it would be a miracle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)