Rover 16V K-Series Cylinder Head Overhaul

Hi all,

So I've taken apart the cylinder head and I'm going to grind in the valves. I'm wondering how best to clean up the deposits around the valve seats. Can I really use a small wire brush in an electric drill, or will that munch through the soft allow in short order? I understand that the valve seats themselves are hardened, but what about the surrounding metal? Am I better off going easy with a plastic scraper?

Thanks

Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

Only if you're really cack handed for a really long time.

That will take a really long time.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

if you leave it to soak in petrol (or even water) for a while it will clean off with little effort. an engineering shop would stick it in the hot washer overnight for a small fee, that gets 99 per cent of it off.

if you realy want to brush it off then get a brass brush which should do minimum damage.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , Mrcheerful writes

Diesel works as well, plus it's a little more difficult to set on fire ;-)

Reply to
Clint Sharp