Rover 214 Crankshaft oil seal keeps popping out

A couple of weeks ago I was on the motorway when the oil light came on. Stopped, opened bonnet and found oil all around the timing belt end of the engine. After having a proper look, the crankshaft oil seal had completely popped out. I thought this was just wear or something so got a new seal and fitted it and then drove around town for about

10 days with no problem at all. However, yesterday I was back on the motorway with it and it popped out again. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this to happen?
Reply to
Adam

Sounds like the crankcase may be getting pressurised - check that all the breather hoses are clear. Another possibility is that the head and/or bearing cap ladder have warped, causing the hole for the oil seal to open up - this would be obvious, as there will be a gap at the mating surface. Only other thing would be camshaft bearing wear, the movement of the camshaft working the oil seal out.

Reply to
Bob Davis

It's been turning in the housing and is no longer a tight fit. Clean thoroughly and install with Loctite bearing seal - and allow time for it to set.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Assuming that the new seal does not just fall into the hole (ie it is a tight fit) Then the engine breather system is probably blocked.

The easiest way to test is to fit a new seal then start the engine, slowly undo the oil filler cap, if there is significant pressure (which will be obvious) then check the breather system. Other than that a severe crankcase pressure overload caused by a worn out set of rings (or related, like headgasket blown between cylinder and oildrain) can cause it, but if it runs ok then that is not likely.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful