Rover 216 Headgasket ?

Dear All,

Headgasket replaced 10 months ago on my R reg 216, NOW the coolant water has disappeared, again.

Took the car back to the garge who had replaced the head gasket the first time, who said that they exhaust fumes where getting in to the ??? No idea what they actually said?

Engines done 110,000 mile. Is it time to call it a day?

thanks for any advice

Davy

Reply to
davy

Exhaust fumes in the coolant are a giveaway that the head gasket has gone or the head is cracked.

Just chuck it or do one of those trade ins at a guaranteed value.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Exhaust fumes are getting into the coolant. In other words, the headgasket has gone again or the head is cracked.

Chances are that unless the cost of the head gasket replacement was a few hundred quid, they half did the job and just replaced the gasket instead of sending the head off for crack testing and skimming to ensure it's flat.

I'd ask them if they crack tested and skimmed it the first time. If they haven't, point out that they've contributed to the second failure due to negligence on their part as they've not done the job properly and ask them what they're prepared to do to rectify it.

Those Honda units in the 216 are bullet proof.

Reply to
Conor

Garage said the head was sent off for skimming.

Gasket lasted ~12k miles . Not sure if it is a honda engine or a K series engine. You don't see many posts for the haed gasket failing on a Honda engine.

Garage is a bit surprised to see the gasket gone again. Engine oil is still black but I've noticed some oil spray in the engine bay near the brake fluid tank.

Davy

Reply to
davy

Rovers are crap. I had one and said I would never have another. Get rid of it. You'll find plenty of cheap cars about with less mileage than your rover. Keep driving it topping up oil and water until it breaks down then scrap it.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

" snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com:

You had one Rover and you had some problems with it? That alone fully qualifies your statement "Rovers are crap"?

Stu

Reply to
Stu

Reply to