Rover 216 questions

I've just picked up a K-plate Rover 216SLi as a replacement for the dead Renault (see other thread). Not in bad nick for £200, there are a few niggles though:

1) Cambelt. I'm going to change this one right away as there's no recent history - I'm not getting caught a second time! It's the SOHC Honda 16v engine, the local motor factors say there are two belt types, depending on whether it's fitted with a manual or automatic tensioner. Is there a way (e.g. from the engine number) of telling which I have without pulling it all to bits? I can post photos if that would help.

2) Needs a new thermostat - the temperature never gets more than 1/3rd of the way up the gauge, and going down a long hill with the throttle shut it will go down to cold again. Doesn't look too difficult.

3) The idle is a bit erratic - it'll vary between almost stalling and 1200rpm, hot or cold. Also any change in load will affect the idle - turning lights or heated screen on or steering on full lock will drag it down.

4) It wouldn't start when partly warmed up the other night - it'd fire briefly, then die. I was just about to call the AA, tried it again and it fired up no problem. It hasn't done this again since. This may be related to (3) - reading through previous threads the possibilities seem to be: Idle control valve gummed up Faulty temperature sensor Faulty igniter (though there is a receipt for a new one a few months ago) Faulty fuel pump relay "It's a 216, they all do that sir"

I'm hoping there's a simple fix for this last one - any more ideas?

Reply to
Rhydian

I had a 416 with the same engine...

"they all do that sir". Changed ICV, temp sensor, crank sensor and igniter. New Rotor arm and dizzy cap as well.

It still did it.

I gave up and lived with it. It's something to do with heat-soak. What exactly I don't know, but one really hot day in 2001, it wouldn't even start from cold because it had been sat in the sun. Come the evening it started fine.... fuel vapourisation? It used to do it at petrol stations especially when sat for a couple of mins with engine off start, die, wait 5 mins and it was fine.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:34:31 GMT, "Mike P"

Ours does it too and I've never figured out what the problem is. I have a tip though, when you turn the ignition on (not cranking, just ignition) you'll hear a relay click 'on', if you don't hear it click 'off' it won't start. Just keep switching the ignition off then back on again until you hear the relay click off. It will start then.

Reply to
Steve

I don;t think they made a single cam 16V - I thought they were all twin cams myself.

Do the waterpump while you are at it - they are cheap at about £25. There is an additional bolt that screws into the pump from behind the manifold that can be confusing if you don't know to look for it.

It can be a pig to get at. Don't take the manifold off if you can help it or it may piddle water everywhere.

Reply to
Chris Street

Yep, they definitely did. It's a similar arrangement to the old 16v Dolomite Sprint. Only the GTi got a twin cam.

Reply to
Steve

Never knew that. I was under the impression that the 1.6 was just a bigger bore on the 1.4 K series. (You'll tell me now there was a 16V SOHC 1.4 and really depress me.....)

Reply to
Chris Street

They are referring to the Honda engine not the Rover K series !

Reply to
powerstation

Bah, K-plate car. That'll be that Bwotsit Honda lump then. My bad.

Reply to
Chris Street