SAAB c-900 won't rev out.

I have a 1987 8v old shape Saab 900 2 dr saloon (big bumpers), single Pierburg carb (similar to a Zenith CD), manual choke and electronic ignition (no points).

It starts and idles quite nicely but won't rev past about 3000 revs, there's no misfire or hunting it's simply as if the throttle isn't opening enough. The lever on the outside of the carb goes through its full travel.

I checked the vacuum advance and found that wasn't working, I replaced the unit with a good one and it still doesn't rev out. I know it's ok now as when I suck on the pipe I can see the base plate move and when I do this with the engine running the idle speed increases.

Any ideas?

Reply to
sweller

Dead easy, diaphragm has split in the Pierburg / Stromberg / Zenith CD.

We used to run a Volvo 360 with the B19A engine ( Stromberg 175CD) and always carried a spare as they are apt to split without warning giving you a

2-3000rpm rev limit and very little power.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

You, Sir, are spot on. Just before I checked for any answers I took the top off the carb to check if the piston was travelling correctly and found the diaphragm split. Honestly, I checked it before you answered....

Question now is are these diaphragms readily available? As I need the car for Friday afternoon for a trip to the Midlands (from Sussex).

Thanks.

Reply to
sweller

( in bromsgrove) phone number is on the website. Excellant firm, and no I dont work for them.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

likewise, they were going to be my recommendation too.

--

answered....

Reply to
Neil