Satnav - TomTom or not?

Let the religious wars commence.

(Buy another TomTom)

Reply to
Huge

It depends...

I find a slightly prefer the Garmin interface and I found Garmin to be more accurate as far as mapping goes. TomTom has sent me down some

*very* odd routes that the Garmin has not. I also found Garmin tech support to be better.

If you have a smart phone then the TomTom software seems to be way better than the Garmin offering and I currently use TomTom on an iPhone which I find to be be very good for the purposes that I have (nowadays a commute to work and very long drives across Europe).

On the smartphone TomTom can plot a trip in excess of 1500 miles, the Garmin (760) gave up if the route was longer than 800 miles. TomTom's HD traffic is worth having IMO if you drive anywhere when the roads are busy. It has alerted me to problems and saved my many hours of sitting in traffic queue. Although expensive for apps, the TomTom app is cheaper than buying a smartphone and a TomTom.

If I were a mindless snob who turns up his nose at the thought of owning a smartphone I would consider the Garmin nüvi 3597LMT however it costs as much as a smartphone, when you get somewhere you have to take it out of the car and carry it around with you so why not get a smartphone that you will carry around and have less junk in your pocket?

Reply to
Steve Firth

So it's not going into night mode at all, then.

Reply to
SteveH

preferences: day colours

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I know this! and I always swith over to day colours. But why do I have to do this every time? Why is there not a general override once and for all?

Reply to
johannes

depends on the model: try this: change preferences:go right to brightness:brightness preferences,blank the check box for switch colours when dark: tap done:tap right arrow to get to 'use night/day colours', pick the day colours, tom tom may ask 'switch to night colours when dark, tap no.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

You have a pm.

David