Cars in Budapest

Firstly, there is a huge and confusing range of petrol on sale, especially at Shell stations.

Shell V-Power 100 - 100 RON deluxe Optimax I assume? Shell V-Power 98 - 98 RON European version of Optimax Then there are 95 and 92 RON unleaded variants. There's also a specal pre-mixed 2 stroke one for all the Trabants and scooters. You can also get Agip fuel around here. The Ti got great economy on their 98 ron stuff on the last leg from Austria to Budapest. They sell some crazy synthetic oils too like 10w60

There is a range of cars on the roads from ex commie cars like Trabants, Polski Fiat 126s, Ladas and Skodas. There are a few random Yank Tanks too - saw a black Chrysler 300c today. Very nice in the metal IMHO, as well as other random yank tanks that I can't really say what they were apart from that they're obviously American.

I've also seen several of those new Merc CLS things. They're very big but very elegant. Nice cars to behold.

There are also loads of saloon variants of hatchback cars (remember the Nova saloon and the Astra Belmont) There's a Clio saloon called a Thalia and Corolla saloons. They aren't very nice IMHO but they're popular round here.

Oh yes, there are loads of those Dacia Logans around. They're actually quite nice cars when you consider the =A33500 price tag for brand new. Only they're not =A33500, they're nearer six grand but that might just be the HUF/GBP exchange rate and they're probably cheaper in Romania where they're built, or perhaps in Czech where stuff is generally cheaper than Hungary anyway.

On the modifying front, there are loads of cars with stuck on bonnet vents. I saw a souped up Trabant that looked quite nice, but at the end of the day, it's still made of paper mache isn't it! This morning as I walked across the Petofi bridge on the way to work, a Skoda Estelle tanked by with an impressive exhaust note and the distinctive whistle of a turbo. It was going a lot faster than all the other cars so I assume it wasn't a fake exhaust whistler thing... Mostly though are real poverty spec small hatchback cars (I mean proper poverty spec - what we consider to be poverty spec is top of the range compared to Europe) with very loud exhausts fitted. Some things cross borders then...

The Ti seems to be slowly leaking oil from the very front driver's side, just inside the bumper. I don't know why, a weird place to leak oil from but I assume there must be an oil cooler down there or something.

Reply to
fishman

I use that in the Celica, off the shelf from the local Autofactors.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

i wanted 10w50 as someone said it's the best but couldn't find any for my beast :(

Reply to
Vamp

I use that in the Celica, off the shelf from the local Autofactors.

Cool, to me it sounds like the perfect grade for a turbo car. What make is the oil and how much does it cost? Handy for me to get some in future as you're local to me (at least when I get back you will be).

Reply to
fishman

Millers CFS 10W60 full synth. About =A328 for 5 litres from local autofactors. Between =A325 and =A335 online.=20

That was from Warrington Motorfactors on Manchester Road.

I'm using it in mine, because although they spec 10w40 full synth, after=20

140k miles it tends to use/lose a bit and a lot of they guys that do=20 trackdays and a lot of fast mileage say 10w50 or 10w60 is fine. Well I=20 do like to put me foot down when I can, so I gave it a try.

the GT4OC have a member who's job is selling oils. He isn't keen on it,=20 because he doesn't sell it, he's a Mobil 1, Valvoline and redline agent.

but garage that do a lot of work for the club swear buy it and the owner=20 uses nothing else in his car, plus the mechanic who works on my car buys=20 it in bulk for his place, as he uses it in anything Jap with a turbo,=20 even diesels and it works perfectly.

--=20 Carl Robson "Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf" (The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

Sleeker GT Phwoar

The R5 has that too, my autofactors sells 10w40,50 and 60.

Reply to
Mason

Haven't found a decent 10w50 anywhere, closest I could get was Mobil 1

5w40 or 15w50, 0w40 and 10w40 CarLube Rriple R (listed as synthetic and fully synthetic) or 10w40 and 10w60 millers.

the Carlube is surprisingly good for the money, but not as good value as the Millers CFS now I've found it.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

think i went for 15w50 in mine

Reply to
Vamp

I did think about it, but I prefer a 10 weight cold viscocity for the winter.

I wouldn't want to starve an engine of oil in january when the it has thickened because of the cold.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

It's always done that, and it's power-steering-fluid - the tank is sat right there. Just ignore it - it's the slowest leak ever, and only needs topping up about once a year :)

Reply to
Nom

I guess the pool just looks big because the car's been parked in the exact same spot for about a month (public transport is so damn good here that I don't need the car at all!). I heard that the power steering leak is a common fault on these but wasn't sure where the gubbins were as I haven't had a good look under the bonnet yet apart from to top up the oil and screenwash before my epic trip.

What causes the leak? I used Slick 50 power steering fluid on my Dedra (almost all of it vanished within a day - it'd soaked into all the seals and fixed the leak so I could replace it with normal PSF).

Reply to
fishman

Hang on, you mean there's a pool under the car ?

That may or may not be the same leak then ! It never made it to the ground when I had it. If you open the bonnet and look behind the drivers headlight, you can see the area is all sticky - that's all the leak ever was for me.

MOT man said there was a small leak from the Power Steering pump, which he cured by replacing and tightening the clips. I dunno where the pump is, but perhaps that's where you should look ?

Reply to
Nom

Check and see if there's a steering fluid cooler on the return line, between the pump and the reservoir. It'll look like a small radiator or oil cooler, they're usually situated in front of the rad or in the bumper and are vulnerable to stone chips.I had to change the one on my mondeo a couple of weeks back.

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)