Saxo woes

Hi Folks,

A neighbour has just bought a W reg Saxo 1.1 cheaply at auction.

The fuel and temperature gauges and rev counter don't work, although the (electronic?) speedo does. The low fuel and high temperature warning lights remain constantly illuminated although the gauge needles do not move. The car is full of petrol, and he tells me that it didn't overheat on the 20 mile drive home, although there is evidence of some previous contamination of the coolant expansion tank.

Any thoughts on a common cause or component failure that could cause this? The fuses are all intact, the Haynes manual is unhelpful, although I have followed the wiring diagram and checked the obvious.

There is evidence of previous cabling work in the engine bay. Specifically, on the bottom radiator hose sensor (sensor located where the hose joins the block) an extra wire has been soldered into one of the sensor wires and is now taped off about an inch from the sensor. There is also evidence that another extra wire was been soldered into a very thin green wire which originates at the first multi-plug from the ECU.

I could possibly understand using an ECU connection for an immobiliser, but why would you run another feed from a temperature sensor? The ECU itself is only held in by one bolt instead of four, so has obviously been removed/replaced at some time.

Any help would be appreciated. I was aware that buying a French car without history cheaply at action is risky, so is he - now. If all else fails he should get his money back courtesy of a different auction, but if it's a cheap fix the rest of the car seems reasonable value for money.

Reply to
Doctor D

Duncan Wood