Selling with Autotrader & the Nigerian 419 scam

I currently have a VW advertised on the Autotrader website with my email address for online contact.

I have been contacted by a person called Terry with Very bad English grammar; I have replied to his enquiry regarding the car & tracked the email over to Nigeria

Today, I have received a reply stating that he'll pay me £10,500 for my £6k car (Yes, I know what happens next) as it's for his mother who lives in Dubai & he wishes for me to pay the shipping agent

I've supplied him old address, I get my mail redirected from on the basis that I will receive a 'rubber' cheque which may bounce from which he'll want the difference when its 'cleared'

I want to see if I can snare him further or turn the tables on him, but as he isn't in the UK I can't see how I am going to pull this off

Q: Does anyone have any good ideas to get these Nigerian 419 Scammers?

Reply to
A C

I think someone had a good idea on uk.media.dvd a couple of months ago, can`t remember the outcome - but it may have involved bank transfers or Western Union...

Reply to
Colin Wilson

A C ( snipped-for-privacy@REMOVEabbeycross.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

  1. Ignore 'em and get on with your life.
  2. Have a good read of
Adrian

Already seen the 419eater.com site when they tried the same scam through our eBay account last year

Reply to
A C

Beware of doing that because you are actually committing fraud by doing so. And you've advertised the fact on a public newsgroup. You old address is exactly that - your OLD address. Claiming it still to be your address is fraud. The forwarding service is there to catch mail that is incorrectly addressed, NOT so you can carry on using your old address with no comeback.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

I still own the old address just that im not currently living there & I do not wish to publish my current address to a Nigerian who may try & use my ID for fraudulent purposes

Reply to
A C

so if you still own the old address and have mail sent there officially, what's to stop old Nig from using it for fraud......I think you will find these people are wise to any bluffs around so you might just be wasting your time.

Reply to
Lez Pawl

The old address has been rented out for the last 5 years & im no longer on the electoral role at that address, so any attempts to gain credit in my name at that address will hopefully be refused.

Reply to
A C

Dear Nigerian Scammer:

Yes of course, I'd love to accept your payment and do business with you=20 to be of benefit to your benevolent mother however my bank requires a=20 processing fee. Please can you send me $100 USD via Western Union.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Earn commission on online purchases, =A32.50 just for signing up:

Conor