Slightly OT: GTW

"actual train weight=GVW+trailer MAM, irrespective of actual load" I am trying to clerify the law relating to towing, Transit plus trailer. The towing capacity of my transit is 2800kg, we have trailers with a

3250kg plate but only around 800kg empty. Would you agree with the above quote or can these be towed empty?
Reply to
Rog

C'mon Conor, you should know the answer to this one, I won't sue if you are wrong :) Rog

Reply to
Rog

"The maximum laden weight of a trailer which may be towed by a light goods vehicle depends on both the stated gross train weight of the towing vehicle (GTW) and the vehicle manufacturer's recommended maximum permissible trailer weight. Neither the maximum permissible trailer weight or the maximum gross train weight (the laden weight of the trailer plus the laden weight of the towing vehicle) should be exceeded. It is possible that the stated gross train weight is less than the sum of the stated maximum permissible laden weight of the towing vehicle and the stated maximum permissible laden trailer weight. In this case the towing vehicle and the trailer must be loaded such that each does not exceed its individual maximum limit and the sum of both does not exceed the maximum gross train weight."

BUt as AFAIK it's never been tested in a court of law. You need the C&U regulations 1986, but I don't think they're online.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I'm trying to explain the situation AIUI, but I'm not a jargon expert so bear with me:

You can tow a maximum of 2.8 tonnes with your transit. (overrun braked trailer) Your 3250 plate trailer is therefore fine provided that it is doesn't have more than (2800 - 800 =) 2000kgs of load on it. In addition you have the Max train weight to consider, so If you load your tranny up to the top with drums of Diesel and digger buckets then you'll probably have to reduce trailer loading further to keep within max train weight.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Thanks for the input