New car reg's

I'm getting a new car in a week or so, apparantly i get a choice of rego numbers to choose from that the dealer has been assigned,

when the new style plates came out, adverts said that the first 2 letters were for the area, the numbers the year and the last 3 letters could be chosen by the customer or assigned randomly.

i know people have bought a car from a dealer in a specific area just to get the first 2 letters they want, but i dont have that choice, so will be stuck with a birmingham identifier letter i guess, but at the very least i'd like to specify the last 3 letters.

idealy i'd like to specify the first 2 as well, as with the 09 numbers, it's kinda spell out something that means something to me, but prolly no one else, hence i dont really want to pay dvla £390 for a personalised plate that isnt really personal.

Anyone know how i could get what i want? is it possible to register the car in another area even tho it wasnt bought there?

Reply to
gazz

Personal plates are for knobends anyway.

Reply to
Conor

I toyed with the idea when I discovered that my ham radio callsign would be available at the minimum price, and it wouldn't be too obvious.

Then I thought maybe I might have some enemies through amateur radio exchanges, and decided that only knobends have them. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

For a Ham Callsign, you'd get away with it as 99.9% of the population wouldn't realise and unless you had 10m/2m/whatever antennas on, most Hams would just muse that it was like a UK callsign.

It's far far better than an assortment of letters and numbers arranged to form or look like someones name.

Reply to
Conor

Yes, there is that...

The worst plate I've seen is on a Humvee type vehicle which sometimes parks at the supermarket on the double yellow lines right outside the main doors.

The number is B16 CUN, and the guy who waddles out of it fits it perfectly. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

When I see this I always think: Why didn't they spend the money on a better car?

Reply to
johannes

Have you noticed that they're always on 'Penis Extension' cars i.e BMW's,Range Rovers,disco's and other unreliable tat :-)

Reply to
mark smith

My knobend is unregistered.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Must be because you can't afford one.....

Reply to
SteveH

And??? so i want to be a nobend, is that a crime or something?

Reply to
gazz

usually because they cant afford a new car every six months, so the private plate hides how old the car really is.

all i want is to be able to choose the letters in my new car's rego number, it wont make up anything that will mean anything to anyone else except me or my friends, it's doesnot read a name or anything,

Reply to
gazz

"gazz" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Ask the dealer. I wouldn't have thought they'd be willing to deal with a different registration office, just to fit in with your whim.

Reply to
Adrian

My car is really old. An L, but really nice car nevertheless. One day it did break down and I called RAC. I told the young lady the registration over my mobile, but she kept answering back: "AL", "ALFA LIMA". "No, no it's an L plate", I kept shouting. "Yes, ALFA LIMA", was her reply. It took several attempts before the coin finally dropped at the other end. LOL!

Reply to
johannes

johannes gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

None of my cars are that new. Only one is on a prefix.

Reply to
Adrian

The worst example of numberplate worth far more than the car it was attached to was in a village I lived in. The next door neighbour had RH77 on a shagged out Renault 5. It carried that plate for a few years.

Reply to
Conor

Cost is not the issue.

Reply to
Conor

I refer you to a thread elsewhere.

Reply to
SteveH

Old money, but fallen on hard times.

Very hard, if they lived next door to you.

Reply to
SteveH

Personal number plates tell us just one thing - that the car's owner has more money than sense.

Reply to
DB.

Nope, iz cuz i dun wanna look stopid.

Reply to