Smoke wafting from LHS blower vent - Mondeo

Just bought a 98 R reg LX Mondeo 2L auto 5dr hatch... Ex-company car, regularly serviced, runs very well but after a few hours driving, suddenly got acrid burning smell and then smoke wafted from passenger side air vent just below windscreen (i.e the top vents not the forward facing adjustable ones). After major panic and quick look under bonnet managed to correlate the problem with use of the blower (which seems to be working OK, even after fault). Car has A/C which doesn't seem to be working very well - not much cooling effect - and I was using the A/C but after the smoke started I stopped the car, did the check and then tried again with A/C disabled and got fresh smoke, so I *think* the A/C is out of the loop here.

Can anyone tell me what's directly underneath that vent before I start looking, that could be implicated in the problem. After turning blower off drove another 500 miles without a hint of a problem.

One other issue; on steep downhill grades if you lock the transmission down to 2 or 1 then over around 2,500 rpm there's an intermittent noise, maybe once every 10 seconds or so, like a soft clank, which might be transmission-related.(only audible with the window down). It's irregular,not rhythmic. Can't feel anything e.g vibration in car, when it happens. There's no problem uphill or under acceleration, kickdown is smooth, no hunting or judder, car has 83K miles approx, should I be overly concerned?.

PS: what a lovely car they are to drive... once my partner got behind the wheel she wouldn't give it back to me.....

Reply to
Andrew Mayo

These auto's are very unreliable, but it most affects slowly driven cars which constantly hunt in and out of overdrive- lock it out using the button on the shifter all the time except when you're A roads or motorways.

Although Ford say the 'box is sealed for life- have the fluid drained and flushed -now-. and repeat every 20,000miles or so. You may get another 50k out of the box but beware you may not!!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

If the fluid has gone a brown colour and smells of burnt clutch material then there is probably major problems with the box. Don't expect it to last long if this is the case.

If the fluid is still a fairly transparent red colour, it's OK but still change the fluid anyway.

The Dervboy

Reply to
DervBoy

Maybe the blower resistor pack decided to overheat, if the blower speed on your car is controlled by one (I'm not sure).

If the blower only works on full speed, or not at all, then that points to the resistor pack. Some types need replacing if they blow, others can be reset by cooling them down with freezer spray or maybe a spell in the freezer compartment.

Reply to
Mark W

Hello,

That will only work if you keep spraying them when they get hot, inconvenient when driving, or carry a fridge in the front seat!

Reply to
JF

This is a Mondeo classic.

You need a new heater blower resistor, mounted above the passenger footwell. Cost about £15.

The resistor will also have toasted the wiring loom - a short section is also available from Henry for about £8.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dempster

Thanks to you all for your help. Yes, it was the famous heater resistor problem - I know that now - and thanks to Mirez's web site with its 'blow by blow' replacement procedure, I have now fixed the problem & all is well. Boy did it freak me at the time, though!.

PS: transmission fluid is perfectly clean and there's no hunting or judder so I'll stop worrying at this stage - next service in 5K I will have my very good local garage check things out thoroughly. Having racked up another few hundred miles I am increasingly convinced this is the nicest car I've ever driven, such beautiful road handling and it just 'feels right'. My girlfriend loves it too.. I guess the big advantage of this very car snobbish country is that under-appreciated cars like this can be gotten real cheap. I'd definitely buy another one!.

Reply to
Andrew Mayo