starting problems

Hi all,

Don't know if you remeber my previous posts about my 99 corsa having a total loss of power at about 2k after sitting idle when warm. Anyway, something else was weird today....

started it at work today heading home, after it had sat for about 5 hours, it was over reving a bit at idle, at about 1.5k and was hunting around that area slighlty. I revved it to about 3k, then let it fall back. It then revved up and down from between about 2k to 3k. I turned it off, then went to start it again and it wouldnt at first. Tried a few times and it eventually decided to. Judging by the dripping from the exhaust and the spatters on the car park I'm assuming the engine was flooded.

Once it was started it drove home fine, absolutely no problems.

Any ideas? Besides "get a better car" ;)

Thanks Barry

Reply to
Barry

The spaltters/dripping is normal. It's the water that the cat produces. Once the exhaust system warms up, it comes out as steam.

Personally I'm guessing it's the throttle control motor that's not working. I've had one before with similar symptoms, and it was the throttle control motor starting to go. Does the engine management light come on?

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Ahh ok, and no, no management light came on

Reply to
Barry

Barry

I second Moray's comments about the Throttle Positioning Servo, this went on my Mk3 Golf about 3 months ago and prior to it being replaced the car was showing all of the symptoms which you have described (Erratic idling, which were worse when cold and just a lack of performance).

Not sure about Corsa's but as mine but as the injection system is made by Bosch i was able to phone an appointed Bosch agent and order one from them, at a cost of about £60. It only took about 1 hour to replace, and all i need were basic tools.

Good luck matey.

Reply to
Dr Gonzo

hehe, well, i know nothing about cars... at all! Been lurking in here for several months in order to learn however!

Anyway, I've now got it booked in for it's yearly service (non vx), I'll see what they think it could be...

Cheers all

Reply to
Barry