Transit heater-blower failure.

The blower on my 1996 Transit isn't working, and I'm in for cold winter driving if I don't get this fixed.

The fuse feeding the blower / heater (F1 - 30A) is ok. Can anyone say, please, whether the problem is likely to be with the blower, the switch or the blower resistor? My first impression is that getting to any of these items is likely to be a helluva job, necessitating the removal of the complete dashboard.

TIA of any reply. DB.

Reply to
DB.

The message from "DB." contains these words:

Not the resistor if it still works on full blast as this is a straight through setting. You can easily test the switch - just pull it out and short round it with a bit of wire.

However, the only two Transits I've had with dead blowers have both been the fan motor died.

Reply to
Guy King

If it works on full, then chances are the resistor has corroded (located under bonnet near o/s of radiotor). Get a new one, cut the terminal block off, and crimp/solder on some new spade terminals.

If it's not working at all, then first put your hand up behind the dash, and follow the lead coming from the switch. Try and disconnect each plug that you come to. If they don't disconnect, then chances are the connections haven't been very good, and it's melted the plug together (I've had a few off these). Just cut the connector out, and join the wires together, either by soldering or crimp connectors. The switch can also be checked by disconnecting it, and bridging the connector. I have also seen the plug on the switch melted. Next thing to check would be to see if the fan motor is getting power. The fan motor should have a 12v feed with the ignition on, and the earth side off the motor connected via the switch/resistor.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

resistors seem to be the first option (as long as it's working on full blast but even then I might be worth a go) they are located in the heater blower motor thing itself though

Reply to
dojj

The message from " dojj" contains these words:

Depends on the age of the Transit.

Reply to
Guy King

I can gurantee a 96 transit has the heater resistor mounted near the off-side off the radiator. Pre-91 may off been mounted in heater blower, but I've never had the misfortune to work on any that old. The new transit (2000 on), is mounted in the heater blower, but can be accessed by taking the radio out.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill