Starting probs when coolish?????? sounds odd take a look.

I really do wonder if there is anyone out there that can help me!!!

Hi this is my first time here as am not that good with these things(computers). My query is that i have a Citroen Picasso 2 ltr h.d.i 2002 model, i like it and it goes great. It's serviced every 10,000 and has never let me down ..... so far. When the weather gets colder or like in the past couple of months we've had cold and damp mornings(and the winter is on the way) it may take a couple of goes to get it started as in a couple of turns of the starter or 2-3 stop starts if you know what i mean. Anyway cut a long story short once it starts it's brill for the rest of the day, okay. I thought i'd start at the preheating control unit and check out if it was getting voltage out for the glow plugs, it was but i changed it anyway. Then i thought the wiring carrying it to the glowplugs, it was getting right to the top of all 4 nicely. I timed it and according to the manual it seemed to be right(5-10second). So then i took out the glowplugs to see if they were burnt or bits broke etc, they were'nt infact they were just sooted up a little which was okay. Anyway i changed them for new ones as i was becoming a little peed off to say the least. As you know if the weather is warm(or the engine) no voltage will be given to the glowplugs per the e.c.u. so it started perfect in that afternoon and i knew i wouldn't get a true and proper start till the next cool or cold and damp day. The next day was crap and i went out to start it but before i did i thought i'd check and make sure it was getting voltage to the glow plugs, it was exactly the same as before. I took out the glow plugs earthed them then clamped them to the side of the block got my son to switch on the ignition while i still had my avo on to check for currant to all the tops, fine. Would you believe that all tips stayed cold, infact they didn't even get luke warm. I got my friend to check both sets of glow plugs for me as he has some type of tester, my son took them for me and when he came back he said the tips went red hot. So as you may of guessed i'm pretty stuck ...... any help would be much appreciated,

Many Thanks

Honda.

Reply to
saj49

I've never actually seen a glow plug but here goes...

I reckon you haven't really measured the current through them and found it to be fine though they weren't getting hot - that's just about impossible.

More likely, you measured the voltage on the plug terminal and found around 12V. If that's the case, then the plugs probably weren't properly earthed. Measure the voltage across each plug - from the terminal to the body (I assume there's only one terminal per plug).

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Hi Colin

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you ..... it's the Library as i dont have one of my own p.c. Thanks for your reply by the way and the problem is still with me. Exuse me for sounding a bit thick but do you mean from the top of the glow plug (teminal or top) to the bottom (the tip which would glow if it did get hot) if so you may be right, it is around 12 volts at the top or terminal. So what your saying is with the plug out of the block and making sure it's still earthed switch it on and check the voltage to it? and thats from the to[p to the bottom. i wont try it till i get your reply and i do understand about it being impossible????

Many Thanks

Honda.

Reply to
saj49

To check if the glowplug is REALLY supplied with power (as opposed to just showing some voltage) get a test lamp or make one, connect one end to the top of the glowplug (with the wire still attached) the other to engine metal. when you first turn on the ignition the lamp should light up brightly, after a few seconds it will go out. This will show if the glowplugs get actual power. Assuming they do then check that each glow plug actually works, preferably by removing each one and powering it up for a few seconds, a simpler test is just to put power to each glow plug connection (after removing the original connection) you should see a nice bit of a spark as you connect, this will show the glowplug is actually pulling power and almost certainly will be heating up. These tests must be repeated for each glowplug as even one failed plug can make a big difference to how it starts.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful