Sticky stuff

Hiya all

Whats the best way to remove the remains of Elephant tape from a plastic bumper. It's no longer sticky as the tape was removed some 6 months ago, but i still have some remains on the bumper.

Cheers guys.

Antony

Reply to
Dr Gonzo

If you're very carefull it comes off with cellulose thinners.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sorry that should have been a painted plastic bumper (Mk3 Golf)

Reply to
Dr Gonzo

When you say Elephant tape do you mean the tape otherwise known as duct tape or gaffer tape?

Don't know if this will work, but brake cleaner did the job very well of loosening the remains of self-adhesive pads (used to stick number plates on) when I changed the plates on my car. You still need to use a plastic scraper and be patient, but it gets rid of it very well - might be worth trying that - only a fiver for a can from Halfords.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You could try WD40 or some other freeing type oil , generally works well for me and theres less chance of causing damage using assorted thinners.

Johnty

Reply to
johnty

Hello,

Excuse me for asking - but what the hell is Elephant Tape? Is it like masking tape, insulation tape or that REALLY sticky stuff about 2 or 3 inches wide?

Reply to
Geoff

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) works pretty well for dissolving gluey stuff - you can get it from any electronic supplier (eg. Maplin, CPC) or a pharmacy. Spray or dab it on liberally and use something plastic to scrape the gunge off, keep adding it because it evaporates quickly.

You will probably need to use T-Cut on the area afterwards due to paint fading and other effects.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

Meths