Temp Gauge

Hi I have a Ford Escort 1.6 ('96 Ghia). The problem is couple of days ago I noticed the Temp Gauge was staying below the white block. I left the car on today fro about 15-20 mins which included driving to work (local roads only). It was more or less the same when I got to work. The needle moves slightly when I start the car (and on ignition) but thats about it. I was thinking probably the Thermostat or the temp sender unit. Only problem is

1) is it easy to fix? 2) where is these parts located in the engine bay? 3) is it an expensive repair

Thanks

Reply to
yshaikh01

Does the heater work, i.e. get hot? That will tell you whether the fault is in the gauge/sender unit or the cooling system.

A stuck open thermostat is a distinct possibility, but so is a faulty gauge.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Tony Brett wrote in news:ep5b6i$a2a$ snipped-for-privacy@frank-exchange-of-views.oucs.ox.ac.uk:

Drive a few miles on an open road (i.e. not crawling in traffic), then pull over. Open the bonnet and feel at the top radiator hose. It should be hot to the touch, to the extent that you find it uncomfortable to keep your bare hand on it. If it is only lukewarm, this indicates a thermostat problem.

Stu

Reply to
Stu

tell you whether the

Heater does work after driving a couple of miles.

Reply to
yshaikh01

tell you whether the

Possibly temp sender unit.

Reply to
Conor

will tell you whether the

Where is the Temp sender located, I have the 1.6 Zetec engine.

Thanks

Reply to
yshaikh01

will tell you whether the

Where is the temp sender unit located. I have the 1.6 Zetec engine.

Thanks

Reply to
yshaikh01