That Rattly Cherokeen I posted about...

I can't quite believe it myself, but putting some oil flush (I know, i was told not to!), changing the oil, giving it a beasting, adding some of that snake oil "wynn's hydraulic tappet cleaner", running it for a week and changing the oil..

The rattling noise has totally stopped.

How bizarre. I thought the Wynn's stuff was snake oil. I got it given..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

What worries me about that sort of thing is _how_ it works.

You _can_ stop a small radiator leak by adding an egg to your coolant. But do you really want to stop the leak by gumming up your radiator?

I'm glad the rattle has gone, I just hope it isn't at the expense of some of your engine's remaining life span.

Reply to
David Taylor

I've found Wynns to be some of the better stuff.

Reply to
Elder

Perhaps they only use the best quality snakes?

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

How much did the thing cost you in the end ? (excluding the oil changes)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Well it did smell a bit like chicken.

Reply to
Elder

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org...

So far it stands me at £500 + the oil changes. I've given it a good wax and polish, some leather food and it's pretty mint now. Everything works too, including the aircon/climate which kept us nice and cool today when we were hot and sweaty from lugging stuff about - moving house today!

It's doing about 240 miles from £20 of LPG, so I can't complain. It's horrid to drive in anything other than a straight line, it bounces over bumps, but for some reason I really do like it.

Now I just need a small, light track car to tow with it :-)

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Result - congrats :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

A pint of ATF is favoured as an engine flush by the Club GTI lot. Apparently works wonders for noisy tappets.

Reply to
Doki

"Mike P" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Bizarre indeed. I _gained_ a tappet rattle by cleaning the oil system on the Saab.

After changing the HG, I put a can of flush in the oil before restarting it. Got it good and warm, drained and changed oil and filter. When doing the HG, I'd obviously had the tappets out, cleaned them thoroughly, and emptied them of old, black oil. Yuk. They sounded _awful_ for the first five minutes after first starting...

After a day or three, there was a slight tappet noise on cold-start that wasn't there before. The slight cam chain noise had gone, but with a new chain, it bloody should have... Hiho. Might have dislodged some clag. Changed the oil and filter again. Quiet for a little while, then it came back. Changed the oil and filter again. Third time in about 1500 miles. It's still there.

It's audible at idle for maybe a second or two after a cold start, then quiet at idle. It's quiet when revved with no load, but audible with a moderate amount of load, for maybe half a mile max, then quiet.

Reply to
Adrian

My 4.6 Rangie does that, except it only taps below around 750 rpm, so it's not much of a worry. Might chuck a can of that tappet cleaner in though.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

In the Saab's case, it's more of "until the pressure's fully up and a bit of volume around the system".

I _suspect_ that it's a worn tappet leaking down whilst it's parked, just taking a while to pump up again.

Mebbe I'll pull the cam cover off and see if there's any sign of which it is. I don't fancy having the cams off and tappets out, but I may do that. £20 each for new tappets. If it's one, that's OK. If it's all 16, I'll live with it...

Reply to
Adrian