Tracking quickie...

Front wheel drive car (Citroen DS). Dreadful wear on inside of both front tyres. Toe-in or toe-out?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

toe out

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Too much toe out, but other problems with the front geometry could also cause that sort of wear, but bring both wheels back to nearer parallel and see how it goes. Better still if you can set it, or get it set, to the proper figure.

Reply to
Brian

I had an issue with that ages ago, tried laser tracking and all sorts. The tyres still wore the edges within a few K miles. The only thing that sorted it was setting the tracking to zero with a skid gauge.

I've got the same issue on my current car, is there any reason not to try that again?

Reply to
PC Paul

none, you can also just adjust it to move the wheels nearer to toe in and watch what happens.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

drive car (Citroen DS). Dreadful wear on inside of both

Thanks. It was set last year, with lasers and all, but obviously not terribly well. I really resent replacing tyres after 5,000 miles - and (for a classic car) 185/80/15's ain't cheap. Still, I only knackered a pair of Kumhos ...I'd have been really pissed off it they had been Michelins ...

I think I may have to ask Santa for a Trak-rite!

Ian

Reply to
Ian

wheel drive car (Citroen DS). Dreadful wear on inside of both

Provided you know the figures for toe in/out and the front and rear track dimensions, it is fairly easy to do the job reasonably accurately with a long straight edge, and some spacers. On level ground of course. I had a 106 with your current problem. Did it myself and the next pair of front tyres wore very evenly, and lasted very well.

Reply to
Brian

You might have suspension wear problems which tracking wouldn't fix. If bushes etc are worn then in general the toe will open up when you drive but might not be the same when you stop.

Reply to
adder1969

adder1969 (adder1969 ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It's a DS. It doesn't _have_ bushes, and wear in the arm bearings is damn near unheard of.

Reply to
Adrian