Front wheel drive question

I'm having a senior moment here, as I cannot remember which of the front wheels in my 2003 Malibu is the drive wheel (i.e. the one that gets the power).

The drivers side or passenger side?

I need to know this when I get my tires rotated next time, as I want to put the tire with the most tread on that side of the car.

Reply to
Brad Clarke

I believe it's the passenger side.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie

Yes.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Sounds more like a trolling moment to me! You ok, Brad?

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Yeah I'm OK, just having a brain fart :)

Reply to
Brad Clarke

As long as you realize that both front wheels are being driven...everything will be ok.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I thought for sure that only one of the front wheels got all the power in a FWD. In that case, I'll leave the tire where it is.

Wow, was that embarrassing :)

Reply to
Brad Clarke

They both get power equally or you would not be able to steer it and keep it on the road. I do not know where this "one drive wheel" bussiness ever started for front or rear axle.

Reply to
SnoMan

A open differentail sends the same torque to both wheels, it can do nothing else. A front wheel drive car with one wheel drive would pull so bad in heavy throttle that you would do be able to keep it on the road. It would change dirrection with every change in power setting. You think hitting a curb with one tire jerks the wheel or a front blow out?? Try one wheel front wheel drive.

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
ROY BRAGG

With the rear wheel drive, non-trick differentials, it was common that, when you nailed it, one wheel would spin and the other would loaf.

I believe it had to do with the torque applied to each wheel being different, one wheel tending to lift a little and the other being pressed toward the road, as the axle tries to rotate around the gearset.

I believe the 'drive wheel' fantasy began because of this.

We cheap racers just balanced the air pressure in the rear tires to try to offset the spin.

Reply to
<HLS

This may well be how it started but a open diff can only send equal torque to both axles (RPM can be different but torque must and will be the same). When you nail it and one tire lightens up from axle twist, it starts to spin and once it starts to burn it taks less torque to keep burning so less power is sent to the none spinning wheel. THe spinning wheel is receiving more HP because HP is torque x RPM /5252 but they are receiving the same torque at all times.

Reply to
SnoMan

Clearly, this idea was another misperception. There are lots of them in this, and other, industries.

Reply to
<HLS

could rotate oposite the drive shaft, thus forcing the left wheel into the ground, and lifting the right wheel, thus the term right wheel peel. Not an issue on a FWD car. Of course due to small differences in traction, one wheel usualy breaks free first on an FWD also. But its nothing like the old RWD solid rear axle cars...

Reply to
Ript