Tyre balancing

Back in'th day when men were men and whippets were frightened and kept their tails tucked between their legs for safety I used to find that front tyre balancing was fairly critical on my old rwd cars like Marinas and Mk1/2 Escorts. Front wheel bearings tended to be "nip up hand tight and then back off a tad for clearance" type things and any play in them got rapidly exacerbated by out of balance tyres leading to the steering wheel shakes at about 60 mph usually depending on resonant frequencies.

My mate has just stuck some good s/h tyres on the front rims of my Focus and also on a Mondeo I'm selling to someone else with his tyre changer and as his balancer is kaputt we didn't bother. We just left the existing weights on the rims. In fact he's been running unbalanced tyres for years on his own modern vehicles and said it didn't seem to make any odds. Well to my surprise I don't notice any issue on either of the above cars after testing them at various steady speeds.

In fact one of the tyres we took off the front of my Focus had a bulge in the tread which was causing the steering wheel to oscillate by an inch at the rim if you took your hands off it at 20 mph as the tyre rotated over the high spot. This must also have been causing quite an imbalance at higher speeds but it never manifested as shake or vibration.

So either modern fwd cars have front wheel bearings and suspensions that are not that critical to wheel balance or modern tyres are better balanced as made than older ones or there's summat else I'm missing. Not having to bother paying for this to be done is a good saving if you don't have your own tyre balancer.

A mate who works at the local council tells me that they also don't bother having tyres balanced anymore on council vehicles after looking into the cost / benefits.

What are the thoughts of the collective?

Reply to
Dave Baker

Balancing is primarily a revenue stream for the tyre places. Time was, only if a wheel wobbled after tyre fitting would any balancing be done. When I was selling and fitting part worns years ago, I never balanced any, and only once did I hear of a wobble problem.

You may recall a while ago there was a trend towards the boy racers wanting special boy racer gas in their tyres. I haven't heard anything about that for a while. That too was a revenue stream matter.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat
[...]

My experiences are very different; I find that the much heavier wheels and tyres fitted to modern cars make any out of balance *very* noticeable, to the degree that I usually need to get the fronts rebalanced half way through their life in order to eliminate vibration.

I find that the critical speed for the Focus is around 75mph. 5mph either side of that, it's OK. Rebalancing always removes it.

Son's Beemer threw a self-adhesive weight, and it was almost undriveable above 50 until rebalanced.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Still out there.

Duncan Wood

"Filling your tyres with nitrogen may seem odd but that?s exactly what motor sport and aviation professionals have been doing for years. Nitrogen is completely safe. And by using it in a mixture with oxygen to inflate your tyres the theory is that it?s possible to negate the issue of slow deflation, which is caused by oxygen slowly infusing through the tyre wall from the atmosphere. "

Unmitigated bollocks.

Reply to
Huge

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:47:52 +0100, Huge wro= te:

The only real use is to ensure you've filled the tyre with dry gas.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Well, the Alfa 75 has a wobble - so I suspect it has lost a weight.

Like your Focus, around 75mph is where it's most apparent, and either side it's largely not there.

Reply to
SteveH

On my most recent cars, I've always had the wheels balanced. Twice had to go to a large chain and found they've not balanced the wheels correctly - anything above 30mph there was a lot of wobble, above 60 wasn't possible. Got them rebalanced at the place I normally use and they've been fine since.

Cars have been a petrol astra sport and Audi A6 TDI.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

"snip>

Often they run with a puncture sealant installed within the tyre. Automatically balances the wheel/tyre within 5 miles of installation. I use it on my bike and no weights required plus puncture protection in the process. If there is little to no play in bearings, bushes and ball joints then the results on an imbalanced car / van wheel is quite marked at all speeds. Also use it on my trailer wheels.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Which is illegal anywhere on your island.

Reply to
The Revd

In other words, you have to break the law to find out.

Reply to
The Revd

Some of the large chains don't even bother taking the old weights off before adding new ones!

Reply to
The Revd
[...]

Wrong.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Illegal and wrong, yes.

Reply to
The Revd

Really?

HTH.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Should be called wheel balancing, since these are often out of balance on their own. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Quite so. I was doing 115mph entirely legally a couple of weekends ago.

Reply to
Huge

A mixture of nitrogen and oxygen for filling tyres? Where on earth could one get such a gas mixture?

Well yes, that's true.

Reply to
Steve Firth

*grin*

I have no idea. Perhaps there is a large unexploited volume of it somewhere we could use?

Reply to
Huge

Most council vehicles never get driven at high speed anyway

Reply to
steve robinson